Headed Windsocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headed Windsocks

Like many I've grown my sock spread over the years. I started with sillosocks and on no wind and low wind situations they are still my preferred sock. About 5 years ago I added about 15% 3D headed sentrys to add another element and I like the look. Here 100% of my decoys have heads. BUT.....

When dealing with tall corn stubble traditional sillosocks leave something to desire and then there is the high wind thrash so I added another matching number Green Bay printed Knockdowns. I like the decoys but it looked too consistent to me so I headed 10% 3D sentry heads to the Green Bays too. I like the irregular element of random sentry heads scattered throughout especially when laying out a little more. Still; it
    ​​​​​seems lacking and I am thinking about increasing the number of 3D heads to that 20%-25% range. When you look at a feed of 1000-5000 birds with birds shuffling for food the upright and searching heads in a flock often seem to be 25-35% or more.
    Is anyone else doing this? Does the headed element help with more than my just my A.D.D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9HlO3QLTZE

Thanks DD
    Last edited by Decoyin Drake; 03-13-2020, 10:05 AM.

It might just be your A.D.D but I too have wondered about having more heads up. Do more heads up indicate some type of danger lurking? Thanks for starting this thread. f&g

Comment

I've considered having some as I've switched over to headless skyfly from sillosocks. From my recollection people mostly concluded they didn't see a difference in decoying birds, and the hassle of storing headed decoys wasn't worth it. I think some styles are harder to store than others, and I believe I will have some heads next year to see how they do for storage.

The skyfly heads are flexible so I am concerned they will come out crushed everytime and the look won't be what is desired.

Comment

Skyfly must have changed heads. I have some that are plastic.

Comment

I don't have any, was just going by the words on the website:

Designed specifically to fit SkyFly Decoys' backbone support system; Installation without disassembling the system
          Made in soft EVA, makes it compact in storage
          Amazing life-like features and painting details

With all the bad reviews of EVA decoys like EVAC from whiterock not retaining/returning to shape, smashing these heads down in a bag or tote likely means they will come out crooked and caved in. I want to try some heads, but ugly heads wouldn't be worth the money.

Comment

Probably doesn’t matter but I use about 35% ish up rights and I prefer a darker spread around 40% blues, specks and Canada’s mixed around the pond.

Nothing wrong with trying to set your spread off a little different than everyone else’s rig.

Comment

I noticed this year that the new Hard Core full bodies that T. Vandemore helped develop contained a higher ratio of uprights than what has been normal. He must believe it helps.

Comment

When I watch birds or capture photos/videos it's always interesting to just watch and learn or look back at the footage and learn. You'll see a single goose standing watch even in the middle of 2-300 actively feeding, but there is always more than just that one sentry. Also with feeding and active geese there are a lot of heads going up and down, up when they're walking and looking, or fighting... And loafing ponds, there are even more uprights standing on the bank! Now in a feed, too many heads up usually indicates they're alerted to something. I see this right before they get quiet and all fly away.... But that said, SOME upright heads definitely add realism and provide a different look. Just my 2 cents!

Comment

The A.D.D. kicked in and project complete..... I decided to move forward toward the 20% level of sentry heads. Finished the last 75 this AM and painted up 25 more blue heads giving them a better look with the feather detail. Nearly 400 Sentry heads do take up some room but if it makes a difference it will be well worth it. If nothing else it looks cool and differs
                  from most other sock spreads. time will tell?

Comment

• fox and goose
                    fox and goose commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good luck! I hope you can keep that A. D. D. under control but then again, who cares!!!

It's sure not going to hurt anything. Frankly, I've always been amazed at how well snows will decoy to headless sock spreads. When glassing other spreads in the area, I know I can pick out the headless spread immediately. It takes a little longer when you see heads sticking up.

Comment

Working...
                  X