Extra caller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra caller

I guess GK1 sparked a need in me to build something talking about his stake idea so I ordered all the components from amazon and harbor freight tonight. Nothing wrong with having an extra in case something went wrong with mine. Highly justified in my mind. It was nice reviewing the list of past components ordered and deleting the ones that I ended up not using. Still, in the electronics world things change rapidly or become obsolete and unavailable. Had to substitute several things but was able to get close enough to be nearly identical. Should be a fun project!

Good stuff to do during a quarantine! I love building callers. I'm into electronics so it scratches that and the hunting itch at the same time lol

Comment

Great idea. Please post some pictures of it.

Comment

• Cornstalks
        Cornstalks commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure will but I'll pre-warn it's not exactly a budget model

I built a 3rd one 2 years ago for a spare. I keep it in the truck just in case.

Comment

Hey it's only money 😂

Comment

I'm jealous of you guys. Since I can't even change a lightbulb I have to buy everything. Which would be fine if I was rich but since I'm not.....well. I would love to have 6-8 of the self contained units to drop around the spread. Something different.

Comment

• Cornstalks
            Cornstalks commented
            Editing a comment
            Well keep in mind when it comes time to submit a claim on your warranty you probably come out better than I do when you buy it. I offer extended warranties all the time to myself but the carrier is apparently disreputable

Waiting on components for my caller is proving to be painful. I've had the box and the amp arrive but a batch of items are in TN. Projected delivery is a month from now. That can't be right. Another item came from China and is being shipped by China Post projected to get here at the earliest May 22. Once it leaves the country there it is not tracked and when you read their lengthy policy it states in a nutshell that you should have no expectation of ever receiving the package and good luck getting a replacement if yours gets lost. Last year I ordered an ultra light camping chair shipped by them and was pretty sure I would never see it. By some miracle it arrived several weeks ahead of the projected delivery date. Unfortunately there is usually no way that I know of to find where something is going to originate. All I know is May 22 seems like a really long way off...

Comment

If you take some vacation when it arrives you should just barely hav enough time to get it all put together just in time for next years conservation season. 😆

Qac

Comment

I could start today and not have a caller put together for next spring!

Comment

I've gotten started at least. Still waiting on quite a few components. Identical to my other one in size with a harbor freight dry box 15x11x6 deep, slightly different amp as the original was no longer available, fuse block installed, and the top cut and fitted. I will probably mount a small tackle type box in the top right corner to keep smaller items organized like a roll of electric tape, some small screw drivers, my extra mp3, and whatever else. The rest of the compartment is handy for keeping remotes stored, a couple of wrenches, my phone when it's charging, calls or anything I don't want lost. On the left side will be a main power switch, an auxiliary switch for dual USB charging ports and the 3.5mm jack out. Since it sits right next to me everything is within reach. This runs on a deep cycle so no batteries inside. A pigtail from the battery will plug into the back and that gets rolled up and stored inside too. Might be a few weeks before the rest of it shows up. Click image for larger version  Name:	20200414_210058.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	16088
                Last edited by Cornstalks; 04-14-2020, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Is that a 200watt, 2-channel amp? What speakers, watts and how many, are you going to use? Rockford Fosgate seems higher end and not an amp you see in e-callers very often. I tend to use cheapies myself. Maybe I should rethink that though. How do like them for sound clarity? I do really like your idea for a USB charging port!

Comment

• Cornstalks
                    Cornstalks commented
                    Editing a comment
                    G&Q, I certainly wouldn't dissuade anyone from using the cheaper amps. I've heard of some very good callers having a $50 ebay amp in them so I wouldn't rethink very hard. This one is rated 75W/channel x4 (and it tested out higher) but I feel the rating is far more truer than ratings listed on lower end amps and I just don't believe the rating of most mini amps even if they are basing it on RMS. I bought a caller one time with supposedly a 400W mini amp in it that I had to listen carefully at a 100 ft away to hear it. Took the caller apart and the call maker had removed everything identifying the amp but a number on the amp which crossed to one from Amazon for $36 and a whole slew of negative feedback. I will say that the quality of sound from mine is excellent and I never have to worry about pushing it. I'm about the farthest away from being an electronics expert as you can get but I do have some thoughts about amps used in caller situations. The market produces amps to be used in running vehicles with a charging system and the voltage is generally in the 14V range. Using them as we do for long periods on a rechargeable battery, the voltage is usually going to be at the high range of 12 or a little less than 12. I have no basis for my belief but it seems that the lower voltage levels impedes the amp in attaining full performance. I think we've all heard a e-callers start crackling when the battery is about shot. For that reason a little more powerful amp not being pushed as hard will still yield plenty of volume. Somebody could correct me if I'm wrong on that because I would be the first to admit I don't know what I'm talking about. I have horns and outdoor speakers. Horns are easy to drive and the outdoor speakers are 50W. They are probably too big but I was aiming at clarity and quality when I bought them. Takes a little power to drive 4 of them
                    Charging ports? Yeah, who doesn't need a couple of those on an all day hunt? I have one mp3 that will only go an hour, my other one will last all day....no idea what the difference is. I noticed this time that were a lot of rapid chargers available with so many volts I thought it would catch my ancient S-5 on fire. 2.4 volts is the max for it and it gets pretty warm. They had ones that were above 3 which must be for some of the latest electronics. 2 ports minimum for me, one for mp3 and one for phone and they are fairly easy to wire in

• CamoHunter870
                    CamoHunter870 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    USB charging ports work great for charging phones and mp3 players and can buy the 2 port ones from Amazon fairly cheaply. My main unit I built quite a few years ago so has a cig light socket in it so I run a usb ports cig adapter to charge my items including a bluetooth device.

At long last my last few components showed up the other day and I managed to finish up the caller. I still need to give the outside some paint to the base coat brown plastic. I was kind of bored waiting for the parts and ended up giving the box an interior light , a stick on LED that really adhered well to the plastic. Wasn't necessary but again I was bored, love building stuff as long as its not too technical and I might appreciate it in the dark looking for stuff that usually gets thrown in it including the day before's shells I unloaded. Battery isn't included in the unit and has a removable pigtail in the back to clip onto a deep cycle. I can usually get 4 or more days this way on a permanent set up and only take the caller box with me at night. Wiring starts out nice but with switches and charger in the panel extra wire to make removing the panel possible to access the fuse box wipes out any neatness that I start out with. Both sets of my speakers are fitted with Speakon connectors so I use those on all three of my callers for versatility. Funny thing is I usually just use 2 outdoor speakers but I like having options. Just so everything in the world isn't rolling around inside of like batteries, fuses, and whatever I screw down a small box that I modify dividers in to fit various things including a spare mp3. The charger when switched on has a digital voltmeter which is kind of nice for giving me an idea what the condition of the battery is like to help me decide when to switch it out for a fresh one. Fun project and I almost wish I had a market, a very small one so I could just hobby build them

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200424_152919.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	16229Click image for larger version

Name:	20200424_153008.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	16225Click image for larger version

Name:	20200511_204350.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	705.0 KB
ID:	16226Click image for larger version

Name:	20200512_195010.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	609.6 KB
ID:	16227Click image for larger version

Name:	20200512_195027.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	606.9 KB
ID:	16228
                  Attached Files

Comment

• jolle
                    jolle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Very nice, I like your organization and I try to do similar on mine. I like messing with callers and end up tweaking things on mine every year, probably just for my own enjoyment rather than actual benefit.

• Cornstalks
                    Cornstalks commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks jolle. After a season of use it resembles the clutter I have everywhere else but at least I start out organized.
                Working...
                X