E-Caller use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Caller use

I am wondering how many of you guys have your e caller next to you or away from your hide in the field
    Like to have the e-caller or e-callers next to you to adjust volume and track being played
    55.56%
    Don't care to adjust anything and have the e-caller away from you
    7.41%
    Use multiple e-callers and they are set in various places in the spread
    37.04%

Have the super snow crow pro with remote. If I didn't have the remote I would definitely have the music at my fingertips

Comment

I have mine next to me but it doesn't have much to do with running the call. It's more for the charging cord to my phone which only holds a charge for a few hours in the cold. I run a mp3 and have put the box quite aways away with a 100ft roll 3.5mm cable occasionally.

Comment

We use multiple callers, all with some sort of remote capability because control is nice. I have two myself, and one has a compact amp with a simple on/off and it runs a single track from an SD card. I set this one at a realistic volume that I feel will never scare geese and use it as the finishing caller or further downwind caller when there are additional callers that friends bring.

I also have a caller that I run from my phone on bluetooth close to me. This one has a more powerful amp that I can use to reach out with high volume, and usually have one horn next to me that I can point at distant birds. And I can turn it down or off as birds approach and let the other callers finish them.

When I'm hunting with others we typically set their calls at finishing/low volume as well and just spread the calls around the spread with more sound up around us. We feel from experience, and we've read enough reports that lower volume is in general better to avoid spooking birds, and I can always turn up the one in my hand if desired.

Always interested in hearing what others experience is with caller techniques. Seems a lot of guys just pick a track and volume, turn it on, and leave it for the hunt? Or do more people adjust on the fly, both tracks and volume?

Sometimes I get an itch to simplify and reduce gear and wonder if I need multiple units. But then I always like to be ready for everything and have backup equipment.

I do feel I've seen enough instances where high volume specifically turned distant birds that it's worth having the option and control available.

Last year had one good example. We had a flock of about 50 fly past our spread 1/4 mile south and about 200 yards high, very quietly. We had our callers off and were talking. They certainly could see us from that distance as there was nothing between us, and they were mostly past us when we saw them. We turned on the calls, and I cranked up some volume on the one, and they turned on a dime and locked up and came into 20 yards on the first pass! We were shocked at the immediate reaction when it appeared they had decided to continue on.

There's been a few other times with birds very far out there that convincingly turned our way, that I believe it was the call volume that did it.

Comment

I run 2 ecallers. I run iPods and each caller can handle up to 4 speakers. I keep the boxes closer only to help minimize the amount of wire on the ground. All the speakers have anywhere from 25ft to 50ft of wire on them. I spread the speakers out as needed. Once units are on I control everything from the iPods.

Comment

• Brobones
            Brobones commented
            Editing a comment
            With cords that long how do you store them and roll them up?

• twdjr
            twdjr commented
            Editing a comment
            Reg, I use horn speakers and just wrap the wire around the bases of speakers themselves.

I too have a foxpro with a remote and am changing and adjusting all the time, probably to much.

Comment

I set two 4 speaker callers out
            Because I hunt a permanent spread I don’t like having to moving anything from day to day

I set my spread in a north to south direction.
            so 4 speakers at one end 4 at the other.

Depending on the wind that day I turn the volume up more on the up wind side.

I use a custom track of feeding and calling.
            The birds always focus on the one that’s calling or in my case there is two speakers calling. I give the birds the option of what speaker they feel comfortable working that day.

I set them in areas I want the birds to land in.
            Even though the other caller is going the birds almost never land on the down wind side callers.

Iv used this tactic from Iowa to Arkansa with the same results.
            I use lawnmower battery and run them from dark to dark.
            No wires to trip over because there not around the blinds since I hunt outside of the decoys and shoot them from the side.

My wires range from 15’ to 50’ in length for various situations.

I like the Bose cubes for the calling speakers and 6x9 for the feeding gable.

I face my speakers down wind.

Comment

• Brobones
              Brobones commented
              Editing a comment
              How large is your spread for you to be able to identify which speaker the birds are focusing on? You must have quite a distance between speakers to be able to recognize the difference. Very interesting discovery.

• River Ratt
              River Ratt commented
              Editing a comment
              1200 fulls
              My kill hole is 30 yards wide and 35-40 yards long.
              My two mobs of decoys take up the same distance as the hole in the configuration of a tear drop

The hole is pockets of decoys with plenty of space for huge flocks to land in.

In the upper side I make a small ares for birds to land in.
              Mostly the singles and three packs that lead the big flocks in.

I typically let them land in that hole and wait for the big group.

So the blinds are set up so everyone can shoot the big group but the outside shooter is still in range to shoot the birds that landed in decoys.

My gunner as I call them know this and I put the best shooters and experienced hunters in that blind.

I’m always talking to everyone as the birds are working and letting them know if anything is on the ground or we’re waiting on the big group.

• Brobones
              Brobones commented
              Editing a comment
              Ratt thanks for that info...

Ratt, can you shoot to both caller locations from your blind? Or is the spread long enough where you'd have to move to the other end if the prefer it?

Comment

• River Ratt
              River Ratt commented
              Editing a comment
              I have to move the blinds.

I set the blinds so we can shoot 2/3’s of the spread
              But the birds almost never land down wind.

Maybe a single on occasions.

We let the kids sneak out of the blinds and walk through the decoys and shoot them as they flush from the spread.

But again I’m playing the up wind caller louder so the birds focus on that speaker and come across the kill hole.

If we are targeting migrators, running traffic, or hunting a feed with more adults than juvies we believe the more callers you have the better. You cannot have too much audio going in your spread. You can however have way too much volume on the callers though. At times we will use upwards of 10 4 speaker callers in a spread of 1000-1500+ decoys. If the wind is blowing 10-15 mph we usually will be sitting in the middle or upwind side of the spread. In this instance we will start at the down wind side of the spread and place callers coming up towards the blinds in the middle of the decoys and on the edges. With 4 speakers you will be able to angle these speakers towards every other caller sat on the ground in that part of the spread so that there is very little “dead” space. We typically set these callers on barking only tracks while setting the volume down to what a live bird would sound like. We utilize the bark only tracks because this end of the spread is going to be very loose and spread out to replicate a part of the feed where there is far less food.

As we get to the blinds and where we want the birds to finish, or hang up the most to be shot, this is where the audio is going to be much louder and much more concentrated into a smaller area If sitting within the decoys we like to place one caller in front of the shooters, one off to the left, one off to the right and another one behind the shooters roughly 5 yards. This area of callers will be the loudest callers in the spread and generally utilize tracks with the most aggressive audio. Depending on how birds are working we might change the audio to ross or single barks.

An exception to running a large amount of callers would fall when hunting in sustained winds over 20 mph. In this case we will always hunt the furthest down wind side of the spread for a few reasons. If the birds have to crawl their way up an entire spread in this kind of wind it gives them an unusual amount of time to pick apart anything they don’t like and may make them sit down or bug out in a part of the spread you won’t be able to shoot them in. When the wind is this strong reducing the amount of callers is done to focus the sound where the birds will be flying over first, likely the lowest and since the wind will be pushing the sound down wind an extreme distance callers throughout the entire spread is not as necessary. Volume levels in these conditions can be ran considerably quieter. Its worth noting that if we know the wind may die down some and we plan on hunting all day we will set a bunch of callers and just not turn them all on.

For hunting over smaller spreads when hunting X’s or just smaller spreads in general for example 300 fullbodies, the amount of callers used will be drastically cut as well. In a smaller, more realistic spread set we will still run the volume the highest near where we would like to kill the birds with the rest of the spread getting the techniques from above just on a much smaller scale.

We have messed with adjusting the volume in real time in the past and just didn't notice much difference. We will be messing with it this spring for another reason so will see what happens.

Comment

I run 2 callers with 2 speakers on each. Speakers are attached to call box so no wires to trip over but also no separation. I put one in front of shooters 10 yards or so with horns pointed generally down wind up and out at about 45* angles. The other I place behind shooters about 10 yards with one speaker straight up and the other up wind at a 45. Turn them on at shooting light and off when we quit. Set it and forget it.

Comment

I do pretty much the exact same thing as JJB. The aggressive and relatively louder sounds coming from a 4 speaker caller within reach of volume control. The speakers on long wires to adjust in directing birds to the shooting zone. The callers I scattered around the spread are self contained with three speakers each. And they are playing fairly individualized barks.

Comment

I almost always (90% of the time ) run 8 speakers and 2 systems with different sound types and sometimes as many as 12 speakers on 3 callers
                  I run a pair of JJB adult snow systems ( 1 with outdoor speakers and the other with their horn speakers unit #3 is a custom built system with 4 100 watt horns with a 1000 watt amp amp and equalizer. Its bigger and bulkier but runs clear and loud if necessary but usually not into crazy volume. Caller #1 runs non stop feeding sounds with 4 outdoor speakers at lower volume on down wind edge of the landing zone basically speakers angle in to spread farthest about 50 yds away. JJB unit #2 is up by my hide one speaker to my left and right (50 foot cords) one about 20' in front of me angling up at a 45 degree angle and the fourth speaker right next to me that I can manually direct sound when needed but don't usually mess with volume just on \ off.

When I put the third caller out I've got varying cord lengths up to 200' that I usually run down the outside of the upwind decoy edge ( try for an angling cross wind most times) ill pick length based on the spread to try and get more sound coverage

All units on wireless remotes and the big system I manipulate volume via remote as well

Is an exercise in experimentation and frustration but that's snow goose hunting until that spin is in ......

DD

Comment

1 ecaller, 2 speakers right by the hunters birds key on the sounds, I can not understand or see any benefit to having sounds all over the spread.

Comment

Benefit would be realism. Downside is more effort and times caught away from the hide while messing with speakers. As far as keying on the sound, they will mostly hang over my mouth call anyway. Probably going to use less sound over a smaller area this year while trying to present more of a loaf spread.

Comment

I have two systems with one having two amp's in side the box while the other system just has one amp. The two amp system has 6 speakers while the one amp system has four speakers.

In general, I'll run the two amp system to allow me to have two different tracks going and control volume via bluetooth with two different bluetooth mp3 players. Last year instead of shutting off the units with a remote, I'd just turn the volume down to 0 on the mp3 players which I found is nice when birds sneak in on you and you can slowly increase the volume instead of hitting them with a big loud sound. Battery life was fine.

As far as speakers, I'll put a pair behind me facing straight up, one on each side of me pointing away from the decoys and than a pair in front of me pointing downwind too. If I run the 2nd caller, it will go further downwind.

Comment

Working...
                        X