Decoy Sled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decoy Sled

I like this sled for pulling behind an atv except for the size. Available from Amazon for a 100 bucks it's 66x30x12 high. Not a bad size but bulky decoys would overfill it easy enough. Love the color. For those of you that use a sled do the runners wear out easily or would the use of one transporting a full spread out in a field 3 or 4 times a year last relatively long? Protective runners to glue to the bottom seem to be a common item for sale. I imagine one would want to tarp the contents before pulling it too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61JEfzdHgyL._AC_SL1155_.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	16554

I have a large Otter sled that's relatively heavy duty as these plastic sleds go. It's pulled mostly over corn, crops, and bare ground. But occasionally over gravel. Whether driveways, roads, or whatever, rock is hard to completely avoid. And it did wear the bottom out much quicker than I would have expected. Literally, the wear opened a couple foot long cracks along a couple of the bottom grooves/runners. The hydro runners that Otter and others sell to screw to the runners seemed ridiculously overpriced so I didn't buy them and put them on. Paid the price anyway it appeared.

I did come up with a cheaper solution though and added them on after I fixed the cracks in the bottom. I bought a plastic composite "board" at Lowes that was 1/2" thick and maybe 8" wide x 8 or so feet long. It's the material they sell for outdoor wood trim replacement. I ripped it down to the width of the sled runners and screwed it on. It bends easy to conform to the sled bottom curve. It is taking the wear better than the sled and saving the sled in the long run. Probably a similar material to the hard plastic they sell for runner protection.

Comment

• Cornstalks
      Cornstalks commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. I would have expected it to last longer too but that's why I asked. That's something I'd like to be proactive on if it's an issue

• Cornstalks
      Cornstalks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for this tip. I did exactly the same on my new sled and should get a lifetime of use out of it. If it wears out, I love the fact that its replaceable

Have any pictures G&Q? I have a sled with cracks along the runners and am looking to get more life out of it. Thanks

Comment

durlam, I do not. But next time I am over where I store it, I will take some pictures. One crack was probably a foot long and maybe one-eighth inch wide. The other longer and one-half inch wide in places. Jagged because corn stalks would rip the plastic away at the crack when pulling the sled loaded up. Here's how I fixed the cracks:

First, I cleaned it up good, and torched it around the cracks to remove any oils. I tried melting in some new similar plastic material but that did not work. So I decided to use epoxy. I wanted to get epoxy spread out on both sides of the sled bottom all around the crack and let the epoxy run together through the crack to make it connect like a large epoxy rivet. So after the crack was cleaned, I put duct tape on the bottom of the sled extending a couple inches away from all edges of the crack. But first I put a second layer of tape with the sticky sides together to make this duct tape patch. In this way this patch stuck to the plastic sled, but had an area larger than the crack that would not stick to the plastic. (Sounds complicated but if I could show you, it's not). With the sled right side up sitting on the floor, I poured epoxy into the crack and it seeped under the bottom side of the sled until it was stopped by the part of the tape patch that had exposed adhesive stuck to the under side of the sled bottom. Once this dried, I removed the duct tape patch and poured a second layer of epoxy on the crack. The crack now filled with the first epoxy I poured, allowed the excess epoxy to run over the top side of the sled bottom. That made my rivet like connection. Once it was dry I coated it all with one of those rubber compounds they sell on TV. You can get all of this at Lowes or similar stores. It has held up well.

Comment

• Sarge
        Sarge commented
        Editing a comment
        Great repair idea!

For hauling out deer, I use an orange ranchers calf sled. I drag by hand as we can't use quads etc on the ranches I hunt.
      I have had it for 15+ years, no cracks although it is scraped up pretty good. Wish I could find one in a waterfowl friendly colour for my decoys.
      Jeff

Comment

• Cornstalks
        Cornstalks commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think I've ever heard of a calf sled. Is it like an over-sized toboggan?

• Geez n Quackers
        Geez n Quackers commented
        Editing a comment
        Around here that's called the hood of a '42 Ford or Chevy!

Originally posted by whiskyjack View Post
      For hauling out deer, I use an orange ranchers calf sled. I drag by hand as we can't use quads etc on the ranches I hunt.
      I have had it for 15+ years, no cracks although it is scraped up pretty good. Wish I could find one in a waterfowl friendly colour for my decoys.
      Jeff
      Cornstalks: Sorry it took a while to reply, been busy hunting and working nights.
      They are pretty much that, an over size sled. Handy item to have around. Some can be towed behind a Skidoo even. Not that there are many Snows around that time of the year!

Comment

• Cornstalks
        Cornstalks commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jeff. I bought the biggest Jett Sled they made to pull behind my XTV. Works great and at 71" long and over 3 ft wide I can get 6 bags of decoys in it pretty easy. It and the machine has given me access to situations that otherwise were out of the question. As you may remember, I grew up in AB and had just never heard of one so was curious

• whiskyjack
        whiskyjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Good evening,
        I do recall you mentioning having grown up here. Darn small world, even with the C-Virus getting in the way.
        I could use one like the picture you posted.
        It was a rancher who allows me to hunt deer on his property, walk-in only, advised me to get one. That's what he called it. Peavey Mart where I bought it knew what I was after but other folks have wondered what i was talking about in the past as well till they saw it.
        The one I have is about 6 feet long, has low sides and is bright orange. They use them to drag calves to the barn when they are having medical issues etc apparently. It is easy to pull on foot, even with a big ole Mulie buck in it.
        Once, I found a natural coloured one but by the time i got to the store, it was sold, my loss...
        Jeff
    Working...
    X