• Show
Clear All

• Mossberg 940 Snow Model

Click image for larger version

Name:	85150_940-PRO_Snow-Goose_13shot_910px.png
Views:	115
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	19611

It looks like quite the Snow Goose gun. 12 + 1 extended magazine, 28" barrel, and nice snow camo finish. Mossberg may not have the prettiest gun at the ball, but they work just fine.

Personally, I think the 12-round extended magazine is a bit of an overkill, but many will argue a 10-roiund is too. Always liked their safety on the rear tang of the receiver. Nice feel and heft to it as well. It also won't kill the gear budget.

Looks decent enough. Never been a big mossberg fan but they have kept their niche for years.

I have a 7+1 (I can float the 8th) extension and deem it plenty adequate, and on the edge of the extra weight forward bothering me. I hunt with a guy with a 10, and we've gotta be honest that emptying such a tube is for the spray and pray crowd. I'm not that old and still quick on the jump, and I can't get off 8 shots at selected birds in one flock. I've sprayed and emptied my tube a time or two, and didn't find any satisfaction in it so I don't anymore. Honestly I'd be fine without a tube anymore. Only time I've used the 7/8 shots legitimately was on hit birds, and an occasional mistake bird that swings the wrong way on his way out.

Comment

I use a mossberg 835, and have for a long time. I sanded mine all down and painted it dirt brown and it flat disappears. Best $250 I have ever spent in the waterfowl game. It will shoot 6 times, and I find that is enough. Very reliable gun, and easy to take apart and clean. I originally picked this gun because it would shoot 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2, but I don't both with 3 1/2 shells anymore. My gun may not be sellable anymore because its so ugly, but it still functions like it did when it was new.

I agree with above, that is overkill on the amount of shells it will hold. 6 is enough if you are aiming at each bird.

Comment

• Sarge
        Sarge commented
        Editing a comment
        Mossberg has been the underrated workhorse of waterfowling IMO. I still have a Model 500 pump in Shadow Grass that I love to shoot as much as my SBE 2.

i have shot mossbergs all my live.very good firearms.had a lemon 835 but new fireing pin and bolt fixed that.have a scope and rifled barrel ,amazeing accurate.my field and fowl is a 930.took a crap on me last spring snow goosein.company said its warranty sent it to texas for repair in march.long summer with out any action on repair.a week before teal season gun is returned.basically just bolted my barrel on a new gun.the 940 has some new modifications that address what was the problem with my 930.would like to trade up. i also have the extend mag for snow goosein.rarelly empty the tube on inishell volly but nice to have for crip clean up and circle arounds.bad dog

Comment

I saw that gun in a recent magazine article on "new products". I thought the marketing arm of Mossberg must be trying to cash in on the CO. Is it possible that there will be spring hunters that feel they have to have one of these for the CO?

Comment

• Sarge
          Sarge commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes it is….,got to put your barrel stickers somewhere. Seriously, I would consider one, but still don’t care for that extra length extension tube.
      Working...
      X