Try Anything New That Worked Better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try Anything New That Worked Better?

New gun, shells, clothing, etc? Something new that you wanted to try out to improve your game and give the geese a headache?

Seems there is a never ending supply of new stuff to use. So, what worked or didn’t?

Used Boss shells. Liked them. Hadn't heard of them until doing some searches for non-toxic shells. Found out later from reading some long-winded threads that I now qualify as a fan boy looking to make up for numerous short comings. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge View Post
      Seems there is a never ending supply of new stuff to use.
      I've been disappointed in the lack of innovation, actually. With the market that exists, I really thought we would see some new generation kite/flyers and or steps forward on ground motion. Have been giving a lot of thought to some sort of ground motion system.

Comment

• CamoHunter870
        CamoHunter870 commented
        Editing a comment
        Seen it on Facebook someone was making necks/heads that move on the decoys, not sure on the price of them or if they were coming to market. I think any type of ground movement for decoys would be tough to set up day in and day out unless you have a permanent spread set. How many would it take to make a difference as well....

• Geez n Quackers
        Geez n Quackers commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to think some type of ground motion would be the ticket. I too remember the decoy that ran on a small circular track. I was always looking for something to go beyond that. But I've changed my thinking since. I've just seen too many singles and small groups of young land in the decoys, walk around, and little jumps/short flights with birds overhead and it didn't draw anything in. And I agree with CH870, anything of any substance would be tough to set up, and you know expensive. Done with all that!

• timber hunter
        timber hunter commented
        Editing a comment
        If I had the ground movement I wanted, they would be set stand alone outside the spread. Would fit perfectly in my plans for a completely different spread set-up next year.

Panel blinds as a first for us. I've written up more on the other threads. Standing to shoot certainly worked better, in addition to 360 shooting for those that like to work behind you.

Comment

Originally posted by jolle View Post
        Panel blinds as a first for us. I've written up more on the other threads. Standing to shoot certainly worked better, in addition to 360 shooting for those that like to work behind you.
        Panel blind for me as well.

Comment

Going MUCH BIGGER with 4500 decoys instead of Normal 1800-2200

Comment

• Sarge
            Sarge commented
            Editing a comment
            😳 Wow! Doubling the size of the spread will be labor intensive. It wii be interesting to see if that is a game changer.

• Geez n Quackers
            Geez n Quackers commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, that's only the typical 200 decoys per hunter... if you hunt with a couple dozen guys!

Originally posted by Decoyin Drake View Post
          Going MUCH BIGGER with 4500 decoys instead of Normal 1800-2200
          Did you notice much difference in how the birds worked? We are on that edge numbers wise, but its split between 2 and we are wondering if we would do better to combine them and only have one spot.

Comment

• Decoyin Drake
            Decoyin Drake commented
            Editing a comment
            We hunted 3-4 guys most of the week and one day had a fifth . Also we were running traffic

I think it helped in two ways as we drew more birds that were out of our flight line and it also seemed to have birds more consistently centered in front of shooters

We’ve been using panel blinds for several years now and they’ve been great but the support bars were always a pain as far as set up and getting in and out of the blind. Well I bought tanglefree’s new frame thingy that holds them up and it’s a game changer as far as set up. Keeps the blinds strait and stable in high wind. Toward the end of the year I just left the frames set up in the trailer versus folding them up and that sped setup up considerably. With the poles and dividers in the past 3 shooters per blind felt really cramped and we tried to avoid it but with the new frames and 3 shooters I never felt cramped or unsafe.

Comment

Had a buddy show up with 2 Silosock power flappers, which was my first experience with them. I thought they resembled a pterodactyl from one of those low budget dinosaur movies from the 70's. Not a fan...

Comment

Working...
            X