The Canada Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Canada Report

Mighty quiet up north. Was wondering how are friends from the north country are doing. Brobones, Whiskyjack? Anyone... I miss the conversations. Seems like most folks fall off the face of the forum for most of the year. Especially, if they are not wanting to go hunting. I assume your still hunting in Canada, Would be nice to hear a report or two. Well if you get time, drop a line or two. Thanks

Qac

I hate to admit it but I never saw a single snow goose, at least on the ground, in SE Alberta. I heard a massive flock fly overhead while working nights a week and a half ago, right about the time Nebraska etc was flooded. They were at strato-altitude, could hear them for a couple of hours it seemed. There were a few thousand about 2 hours SW of me but they headed for Alaska pretty quick. The guys North of Edmonton around the Peace Country have done well I understand. Unfortunately, my one set of days off I could have chased them up that way, I was tied up renegotiating the mortgage. Story of my life. Fall is coming!
    We just had some interesting weather this weekend. Yesterday started out with blizzard warnings across Alberta, from the North moving SSE through SE Alberta where I live. During the afternoon, we had torrential rain w/thunder and lightning, changed over to heavy snow in most areas, ours changed around midnight, becoming heavy by 0400 today. Now, it has all melted. Not sure how it all affected the snows in the Peace Country.
    Jeff
    Last edited by whiskyjack; 04-28-2019, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Kansasgoose
      Kansasgoose commented
      Editing a comment
      Jeff- those new decoys are not going too do you any good if you don't put them into the ground!

Are all the birds past you now then?

Jeff- those new decoys are not going too do you any good if you don't put them into the ground!

Are all the birds past you now then?

No Kidding LOL
    I was really looking forward to getting them out there too! Had a plan to mix them with my Silo's and Tangle Free socks for some variety etc.
    The E-caller was going to be set up near the head of the spread. Best laid plans.....

Yes, I suspect the birds are all well past me region. We see more in the Fall than Spring for some reason. I believe it has to do with the types of crops avail.
    Next Spring I'll be more mobile as I'll plan my holiday time around Spring and Fall hunting seasons. Currently, with my 4 on 4 off shifts, I am limited to how far and when I can
    run and gun. An outfitter friend in North of Edmonton has wrapped it up for this season as of this weekend I believe. Have heard there are still birds in Sask and parts of Manitoba but too far away for my limited time off options this year. Hoping to now get after a Spring bear, more to get out of the house and poke around with a rifle.
    Jeff

Comment

Thanks for sharing Whiskyjack, sorry to hear it was even tougher up there then here. Good attitude though, fall will be coming and you can get another chance.

Qac

Comment

Working...
      X