summer projects

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• summer projects

I have had a woodduck box up for three years with no takers. I have a very small playa pond next too a secondary creek, and this year I had water in both the pond and the creek this spring, so its time for a change. My original box was deep enough, but looks like it might have been too narrow. I have now made two replacements (pic). The camo one goes back on my pond, and the other will go down stream too my neighbors larger pond (3 acres). I have seen woodducks on the neighbors pond several times, and I do see them fly along my creek at times, so Im hopeful, but I know I have marginal habitat on my place.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 woodduck.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	13180
    You can put water in corn and hunt over it legally, but you can't put corn in water and hunt over it legally.

That is really cool.

We just graded today for a new swing set for the kids.

The projects just keep stacking up for us.

Comment

I've skipped the long list of items on the project list that have been stacking up for years. Some of them are on the back burner for a reason and some of them should have been done yesterday. But I scrapped them all for my Greenhouse project which I have been working on for weeks. It has been so much fun that I have barely mowed the yard or done anything else except work on it. Going to be a bit late in the season to get the full use out of it but I'm getting pretty close. I put the roof panels in today 2 protect all of the electrical work that I've done the last week with the heavy rains coming in this week. All I have left to do is put the side panels on and run the water lines to the bedding tables and put misting nozzles in. All of the electrical with the automated ventilation and lighting is finished. The watering will be automated too.

Comment

Two excellent projects. Kansasgoose, make sure you have predator guards installed if you place them in trees. I even like a cone guard on a pole in the water to prevent snakes from crawling up into the box. Thanks for doing it, I hope you have great success, keep us posted.

Cornstalks, that is a great looking greenhouse. Cannot beat fresh homegrown veggies. It’s work but rewarding. Thanks for sharing.

Qac

Comment

Originally posted by Kansasgoose View Post
          I have had a woodduck box up for three years with no takers. I have a very small playa pond next too a secondary creek, and this year I had water in both the pond and the creek this spring, so its time for a change. My original box was deep enough, but looks like it might have been too narrow. I have now made two replacements (pic). The camo one goes back on my pond, and the other will go down stream too my neighbors larger pond (3 acres). I have seen woodducks on the neighbors pond several times, and I do see them fly along my creek at times, so Im hopeful, but I know I have marginal habitat on my place.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 woodduck.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	13180
          I recommend always building the boxes to spec. DU, etc all have good box recipes. I’ve deviated a couple times and the ducks did not like those boxes.

One of the areas I have boxes is marginal (as indicated by the woodies themselves). Once I Moved the boxes around a little (none facing into the sun etc.), there were pairs fighting over them.

If you see woodies in the area, don’t get discouraged or give up, just change things until you figure out what the birds want.

Good work!

Comment

• Kansasgoose
            Kansasgoose commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with what you said here. The original box is a little small, but it was material I had on hand. These two boxes are DU approved size. I hope its all it takes too make it work. I pre weathered them so they should be right for the birds. I will know more next year.

Update. I got my personal woodduck box replaced. I hope the birds like it better than the old one. Will full it with bedding and finish it off this winter when the ice is on. This is my little pond, the creek is back behind, and leads downstream too my neighbors pond, about 100 yards away.

Need too get my boat over too the neighbors pond and put his up for him. its been so wet, I hate too drive in his lawn and leave tracks, so I have been putting it off.
          Attached Files
          You can put water in corn and hunt over it legally, but you can't put corn in water and hunt over it legally.

Comment

Greenhouse turned out great and has proven that stuff grows better in it than outside with high humidity, more heat for a longer period of the day and controlled moisture. I have lettuce that's 4 times larger than lettuce in the garden that was planted 2 weeks earlier. Radishes sprouted in one day. I have some jalapeños that have sprouted in a week and I bought some other peppers that you can't find seeds for which are already bloomin and have small peppers on them. Other stuff growing is cilantro, cumin, dill, fennel and determinate tomatoes. The ventilation fan works great and cycles of and on on a 70^ sunny day keeping it at a nice even 95^ . Had a few nights get down in the upper 30''s so I dug out a 50 yr old electric heater I hadn't used in 30 years which kept it at 60^. Fun project and looking forward to seeing how it does late this fall and the automation will definitely pay off during this next goose season.

Comment

• Kansasgoose
              Kansasgoose commented
              Editing a comment
              this looks like a great setup. sounds like it works better than Mother Nature does too, great job. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! You did a great job on that Cornstalks!

I really enjoy fresh produce, I just have no desire to grow it. I applaud you for doing so. I stop at a small roadside stand that a young lady has every year not far from my house. She grows an incredible amount and variety of vegetables and herbs, ect. She is a hard worker and the word is starting to get out about her stand. It is right on my way home from work and just about as soon as she starts the season I start stopping a couple of times a week. My wife does not like vegetables as much as me and accuses me of stopping to just see my "girlfriend". No, I say, I just like high quality, great tasting produce... Although... She is quit attractive and has a very outgoing personality. Thanks for sharing Cornstalks.

Qac

Comment

That is a very nice greenhouse. I am jealous.

My weekend was spent working on our new play area for the kids. Had to excavate wayyy more dirt than expected a few weeks ago.

My wife found this cool idea for a retaining wall. I wouldnt put it up against any heavy weight, but it looks nice.

Now I just need to add the playset, grade more dirt, plant seed, and move the fence back.

Comment

• Cornstalks
                Cornstalks commented
                Editing a comment
                Quite a bit of work there! When you get it done I would imagine if your neighbors have kids you will be seeing a lot of them

Qac, I've had a garden ever since I had a place with room to put one in. When I was a kid we always had a garden. Not in any Homesteader way or as a hobby but as a way of life. It was my job as soon as I was tall enough to pull weeds and use a hoe. Mom canned a lot and we always had a root cellar. Always had potatoes has we were a meat-and-potatoes kind of family with some vegetables thrown in. Mom would make jelly from whatever I pick depending on where we lived. In Montana it was Huckleberry's in Canada it was chokecherries. Still a little old-fashioned in me I guess from all of that. Never had bought bread or ice cream till I was in my late teens. She made her own butter and soap. So I guess it's just in me too have a garden and grow whatever I can so I don't have to buy it. The area I put it in will grow a nice solid thick stand of weeds of every kind. After years of going out there after the heat at day at 9 p.m. and pulling weeds till 10:30 I finally got tired of it and started putting landscape fabric down and then went with soaker hoses on a timer system. Now I invest quite a bit of time getting it put in and then hardly have to do anything at all but go out and reap the rewards. That ground has proven pretty successful for growing huge tomatoes and I usually can't find enough people to give vegetables away to. Maybe if I was better-looking like your neighbor .
              ha ha. I make my own salsa and the potatoes usually last in the basement until April before they get too soft. Watermelons and cantaloupe are always nice in the summer to and just about weekly I load up the floorboard of my truck and take them to work and give them to my guys

Comment

• Qac
                Qac commented
                Editing a comment
                Cornstalks, I pretty much grew up the same way as you. My folks had a big garden and we always planted about an acre and a half of potatoes. Both my grandparents had big gardens too. We all had strawberry patches and fruit trees. I spent a lot of my youth pulling weeds, tilling soil and bending over picking berries. Always went out and got fresh wild raspberry/blackberry and mulberry too. I still enjoy going out and picking those as often as I can. I think I may have had just a little too much fun as a kid with all the gardening. I lost my desire for doing it but I still really enjoy eating it all fresh from the field. I’m pretty lucky where I live that I have a lot of options close by to get fresh garden veggies and fruit. I don’t mind paying a little for it as I know those that grow it work hard to deliver quality products. I’m glad you enjoy it and are able to share, only wish I was closer to you to get in on some of that goodness.

Qac

I need one of you guys to take on the summer project of making me actually do my summer projects.

Comment

Well, this happened today.

This should help me get my projects done. I wasn't in the market for a tractor, but this deal was too good to pass up.

Comment

• Cornstalks
                  Cornstalks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Aquisition of a tractor and a trailer load of attachments is something that "happened" Chuckled over that. You'll love that rototiller and who doesn't have a ditch or hole to dig now and then? Very handy. Jealous

• Nicapopolis
                  Nicapopolis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. I am very excited about the rototiller. A pumpkin patch for the kids will be the first thing it is used on. I either will need to go small and fence it to keep the deer out, or go large to hope they dont eat it all.

• Cornstalks
                  Cornstalks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are exactly right on the deer. They love pumpkins and will just take a bite or 2 out of each one which ruins it not to mention trampling the vines. A tractor and rototiller is hard to maneuver in a small area so I went with a temporary fence that was fast and cheap. 7ftx100 ft deer netting is 20 bucks. I use 10 ft rebar for posts that just push in the ground. On the ends of the netting I take 2 1x2's, stretch the netting along one and stick it down with some painters tape to keep it in place then put the other 1x2 on top of that, give it a couple of rolls , screw the two together and use some wire to attach all that to a post. Works OK but may have to retighten after it stretches. Corner posts are guyed back. There's probably a better solution but I haven't figured it out yet. One improvement I'll make next is a walk gate instead of squeezing under the fabric all these years. Good luck and post pjctures!

Congrats on that set up Nicapopolis. The honey do list will start to expand now for sure. Lots of flexibility in all those attachments. Your going to spoil those kids with that nice new playground and now a pumpkin patch, especially if you plant some of those giant pumpkins. They are fun to watch grow to see how big they get. Thanks for sharing and keep us updated on the progress.

Qac

Comment

Will do. This is a fun thread.

It sounds like I will need to fence it. I did just do some deer fencing around our new apple trees. On the 7 ft fence I used the 8 ft wood stakes used for staking down trees. I also have it stapled to the ground so the bunnies cant get in to eat the young trees.

You can see the deer in this pic already checking out the trees.

Comment

Well guys, I got the playset up this weekend.

We also decided to add a couple of Nigerian Dwarf does to the family. They have been pretty fun. Very sweet, want to follow you around everywhere.

Comment

• Nicapopolis
                      Nicapopolis commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lol, that is my nephew being an idiot. He ain't young.

Nigerian Dwarfs do stay small. These are exceptionally small. Supposedly their dad was very small. We feed them very little goat feed, like 1/2 cup twice a day. They feed on the pasture and browse mostly. They are milking goats. But I dont think we will breed and milk, but you never know. They are literally one of the kids they just hang out with us. Our property isnt fenced and they dont leave our sight. They are 9 months old. Soft fur too, not wiry like other goats.

• Kansasgoose
                      Kansasgoose commented
                      Editing a comment
                      one more question: if you don't fence, where does it go at night? Does it just wait outside for you too come back around?

• Nicapopolis
                      Nicapopolis commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sorry, I might have confused you. Our whole property is not fenced, but we do have a fenced area where the kids play and also a fenced area for the chickens and ducks. Right now the goats are with the chickens and ducks.
                  Working...
                  X