Rain, rain and more rain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain, rain and more rain

I totaled five and a half inch of rain last week here in Kansas City. Raining hard today and looks like more on the way for the next couple of days. The Missouri River is high and I heard Downstream from me there's been some levee Breaks. I noticed a few Farmers got their crops in here close to town but north of here there are thousands of Acres that probably wouldn't have been planted anyway this year due to all of the spring flooding. Now it looks like it could flood again or at least a field maybe that was just barely going to get dry enough to seed now won't be an option especially if it keeps raining past this week. My prayers go out to those whos livelihood depends on getting crops in and only hope that they somehow make it through this year without losing everything they worked a lifetime for

That’s a months worth of water over here!

Comment

Illinois river is at about all time records. Most refuges will be lucky to plant anything this year. Most bottom ground wont be dry for a month or more.

Comment

Nature jumping in to the short stopping argument by ceasing all flooded corn options! Can the northern states duck clubs sue mother nature?

Comment

• Cornstalks
          Cornstalks commented
          Editing a comment
          So you are thinking that the southern duck hunter boys prayers we're finally heard and answered? Well if that's the case this will be the great experiment year. I think the outcome will still be the same for them as long as the weather follows the same fall pattern as it has in the last handful of years

• Kansasgoose
          Kansasgoose commented
          Editing a comment
          northern farmers may not get corn in this spring, but Im confident they will plant something, probably beans. Geese will still eat whatever there is too eat. Snow goose hunters in Texas argued for a long time about how if it got cold enough, the snows would return too Texas like they once did. Then it froze deep into Texas and the snows still didn't migrate that far south. People continue too put out more and more food for waterfowl, and with power plant lakes that never freeze, birds are learning too just stay north. I think it will get worse. Snow geese once went too Texas, now they target Arkansas. In a few more year they will be stopping in Missouri, and if the world warms a little more, they will probably never get south of Nebraska. 2030 will be interesting too see just what does happen.

You might be on to something.

Comment

The extremes are getting more extreme. I truly worry about our future weather. 18 years living in my house and all of a sudden a spring is running water out of the ground in my front yard. Normally bone dry and grass burnt out by July. We have had so much moisture the past 5 years that long dead hillside springs have regenerated. We no longer get nice slow rains either, when it rains it pours to the amount of 2-8 inches at a time. I actually hope to see a good old fashioned drought again.

Comment

the flood control lake west of me only has 10 feet left of capacity. Granted the top 10 feet is a massive amount of water holding, but its only gone up too that point once, 1993. I forget now if they thought 93 was a 500 year flood or 1000 year, but either way, its happened again this year if we get one more good rain within the next 2 weeks. good news is that the next 5-7 days looks too be dry.
            You can put water in corn and hunt over it legally, but you can't put corn in water and hunt over it legally.

Comment

I am still waiting for it to dry out enough to get the food plots in. Seems like it just about is dry enough to get the tractor and disc out and then another rain comes by and mucks up the ground. I still have some time though. Just last night I found my first good batch of mushrooms and they were nice and fresh medium sized ones. My asparagus is just starting too. The ground temp is finally getting to a point that the seeds will sprout quickly. I may get a chance here in the next couple of days to get some work done. I hope so. With all this moisture my yard has gone crazy and I gotta go mow again.

Qac

Comment

I'm considering putting my lower acre of yard into the marshland conservation program, or maybe getting a hover mower.

Comment

Us here in West Central IL have very little crops in the ground. Some places more than others but a vast majority has nothing planted.

Comment

The last round of rain over a period of about a week dropped 8" of rain. It's just getting dried out and I heard a prediction this morning that the next week we could see 6-8" of rain again. Maybe I should tie my canoe to the back porch now

Comment

Man are we getting pounded again. My sump pump is running constantly and I'm on higher ground. Forecast does not look good this next week. I am having trouble even mowing between rain drops too. Did find enough mushrooms to have a couple good feeds. I hope the rain slows down a bit so I can get the food plots in soon. A few farmers have gotten a some crops in but most of them are stuck in neutral waiting as well.

Qac

Comment

I'm surprised that some of you down there haven't built arks yet.

Comment

Three more inches in my range gauge since Saturday and raining hard right now. Radar looks full so this is going to continue for a while. They said this morning expect another 4 in. I just drove over the Missouri and it's very high. It's not far from where it was during the big flood this year and I know with it raining this hard it's going to take awhile for the run off to hit it. I can't imagine the morale of those people who have suffered flood damage earlier this year.

Comment

flood control lakes here are getting pretty full. The one over by Manhattan will be full on Monday or Tuesday by my estimate. I have lots count of how much rain we have had. Yes, its raining here now too. Those people south of St Joe, MO should just expect it too be flooding on the Missouri and the Mississippi all summer, because once it does stop raining, we have a lot of water stored that will need too be released.

Good news is that the marshes at my local wildlife area are full, all at the same time, for the first time in years
                            You can put water in corn and hunt over it legally, but you can't put corn in water and hunt over it legally.

Comment

Working...
                            X