Snow Goose nesting....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Goose nesting....

http://www.northlandoutdoors.com/20...il&utm_term=0_d2e7ee9f21-16dfbdde56-233769565

This is from the "The Condor." Ornithologist Publication mentioned in that article. Doesn't sound like we are making much difference in hunting them. I wonder what "other" methods they might be thinking about?

https://academic.oup.com/condor/adva...dFrom=fulltext

Large amounts of money are spent each year to control overabundant species that imperil biodiversity and ecosystem functioning across the globe. Lesser Snow Geese (Anser caerulescens caerulescens) are emblematic of this issue, as their overabundance has affected a whole suite of plant, insect, and bird communities via a trophic cascade that managers have attempted to stop before it spreads further across the North American (sub)Arctic. To achieve this goal, liberalized harvest measures designed to decrease Lesser Snow Goose survival and abundance were implemented almost 2 decades ago. Our previous quantitative assessment of management effectiveness indicated that the growing Lesser Snow Goose population quickly overwhelmed a satiated hunter population despite liberalized harvest regulations, eventually reducing the fraction of Lesser Snow Geese being harvested each year. Consistent with the philosophy of adaptive resource management, we apply improved methods to additional years of monitoring data to evaluate the ongoing impact of harvest conservation efforts on Lesser Snow Goose harvest rates. Our previous results suggested little effect of liberalized harvest regulations on harvest rates, but our new findings suggest even less of an impact. Harvest rates have recently stabilized at ~3%, the lowest levels observed over the last 48 yr of our study. Barring adverse effects of environmental change on natural mortality or reproductive success, additional measures will need to be taken to reduce Lesser Snow Goose overabundance and their ecosystem damage.
    Last edited by KEN; 05-24-2019, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I wonder if this report is showing the effects of landowners getting tired of people tearing up their land when its wet, and no longer allowing access too hunters? that is just one reason, but it does seem that access too the birds is starting too become more restrictive. Whatever the reason, if hunters are starting too take fewer birds, there isn't a lot you can do when you have unplugged, unlimited capacity shotguns, shooting unlimited numbers of birds.

For another topic. Its been 20 years now, it doesn't really seem too me that anyone is very concerned about the health of the population, or those other effected species that article is talking about. Science has been saying the population is too high, but nothing is really being done to lower it. Yes, we have the conservation order, but it obviously is not the answer, and hasn't been for a long time. It will be a sad day if the snow goose has the same fate as the passenger pigeon.
      You can put water in corn and hunt over it legally, but you can't put corn in water and hunt over it legally.

Comment

So from a weather perspective how is this year shaping up on the nesting grounds. I'm thinking they must be a week or two from starting to nest. The article talked a lot about predators, Bears, Foxes ect. but I can't believe they can control the population as much as the weather can. Anyone know the conditions right now, please chime in.

Qac

Comment

• JRS
          JRS commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m also waiting expectantly for this years nesting status.
          Based on all the rain in CA, we’ll at least have some ducks for 19-20.

I have to chime in with this report from Western South Dakota. (Yes, Western SD) SD certainly produces it's share of waterfowl, but something I witnessed a week ago made me damn near stop the delivery truck and take a second look. I was delivering packages in rural Harding and Perkin's counties and like much of the rest of the Midwest and Norther Plaines there is a plethora of standing water in places you don't normally see it. The amount of waterfowl on this water was amazing! But what really blew me away was the number of PINTAILS I came across while on my routes! This is NOT a bird that is normally seen in this neck of the woods, especially this time of year! Love the beauty of that bird and thought I would share..

Comment

• Qac
          Qac commented
          Editing a comment
          I hope it works out for them, nesting there. Love to see Pintails work a spread. They need some good years of nesting to build up the numbers.

I did see 2 pairs of Canada's with 10 little 2 week old ish babies just a 1/4 mile from my house yesterday. 1st time I have seen that in a couple of years. Saw my 1st fawn of the year this morning too. It's that time of the year and I hope it's a good year for our wildlife.

Qac

I can tell you from central Saskatchewan that it is dry. I am seeing potholes that have held water for 8-10 years are dried up and bigger slews now have a very receded shoreline. It is very dry with many fire-bans through out the province. Duck production will be down. From what I have seen in Nunavut it is a bit behind of were it was from last years though this info is for the eastern side and a long ways north of Churchill.
        The canada goose goslings are out and about here some ducklings I have seen too. This spring I saw the fewest pintails that I have ever seen since 2002. I never got one picture of nice bull sprig.

Comment

• JRS
          JRS commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like the pintail responded accordingly and found the wet spots in the Dakota’s?

Not much better here in SE Alberta. We are incredibly dry. The sloughs I saw earlier this Spring with water have dried up in many places. I do see decent numbers of ducks and Canada's zipping about frequently so there is water somewhere. I haven't seen any goslings/ducklings yet though.
        Northern Alberta is burning with several very large wildfires out of control. The largest one has been out of control for the last 10-11 days now with no end in sight. Lots of folks evacuated. Slave Lake is in danger of burning for a second time in the last few years possibly.
        Jeff

Comment

Working...
        X