Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best wishes to your family Whisky.

Comment

Yes, best of luck to you & your son. Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by whiskyjack View Post
        Headed out tomorrow morning on a scouting trip. My trucker son called me Friday evening and said he saw a small flock of about 100 birds in a field an hour or so from me.
        Had some business today that couldn't wait, my youngest son had open heart surgery 12 days ago. Was d/c home on Thursday in great shape but he is isolating for a couple weeks so we had to run a supply trip for them.
        I'm hoping my son's info is still current though I don't expect to do more than scout for next week. Will have some decoys and a shotgun along just in case. If nothing else, it will be a nice day for a drive. I must admit, I'm happy to hear there might be Snow's here now! WE are forecast for very nice weather but there was a snow storm 5 hours North of me today. Hoping the snow holds the birds in Southern Alberta longer than usual!
        Jeff
        I wish your youngest a speedy recovery!

Comment

Can't help but feel excited for you Jeff. I remember the spring melt and how it felt as the long winter finally started releasing its grip. The muddy wheat fields, the last snowdrifts in the windbreaks and the return of birds of all kinds. Hope you're blessed with a long season and a full recovery by your boy.

Comment

Thanks very much for the wishes for my son. His surgery was a planned event to "tune-up" a repair he had as a very young child.
            All went well, he is recovering at home, hopes to get the blessing from his surgeon to do a bit of hunting this Fall.

My scouting trip this AM was a success of sorts. I located a flock of several hundred Snows but, they were very safe. They were roosting on an island a couple hundred yards off shore in a lake.
            I couldn't get close enough to take any photos even. They did take off enmass, I thought "Here we go, time to chase them to a field" but they flew around the lake and landed again. This was repeated a few times as I watched them. It was exciting to see them though. I plan to head out again next week and try to locate the fields they are feeding in. They will likely be around still as we are slated for a significant change in our weather come Tuesday with temps in the 20's F and accumulating snow from Calgary North to Edmonton and East towards Central Sask. for a few days.
            There is standing water everywhere you look in SE Alberta. There were Canada's paired up everywhere, on one temp wetland there were a number of Mallards, looked great in their colours!
            Also had the pleasure of seeing a couple Tundra swans as they circles a small pond. Several good sized herds of Antelope and a couple of coyotes just dicking around in a field. Fortunately for them I didn't have my 22-250 along.
            Stay safe folks, get in some hunting if you can. I figure you can't get any more self isolated than laying in a blind!
            Jeff

Comment

Thanks for the update whiskyjack!

Comment

Not a real nice day here in eastern Iowa. Very windy, cool and a on off sprinkle every now and then. So I am sitting here watching some YouTube tv and I see 2 geese fly by my front window. I thought I was seeing things. I jumped up and dashed outside and sure enough I did see what I thought I saw. A snow and an eagle head blue. Not real high just cruising by headed north. I’ve seen birds here from time to time in this area clear into July, not often and not many but it does happen. Never seen them at my house this late so I thought it was kinda neat. Thought I’d share.

Qac

Comment

• Brobones
                  Brobones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now that is very cool...

Been several years ago but had a group of 4 or five snows decide to identify as town honkers. Last I saw them was some time in mid July.

Comment

Two weeks ago I was out crappie fishing and I heard what sounded to me like a few snow barks. I am in Western IL and have seen snows stay into mid April a couple times but this was around the 1st of May. Of course I was by myself that day.

Comment

• whitey11
                    whitey11 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Also, a few summers back at the local golf course there was a single snow there and that was in August. He thought he was a honker too. I'm sure he was a cripple or something.

Two years ago an eagle head blue took up residence with some local Canada’s in my friends housing development. We saw him all summer and got pictures of him. He acted just like one of the fat grass eating Canada’s. You could get pretty close within about 7 or 8 feet if you were walking and if you were in the car he would be right along the sidewalk. He was there and then one day a 2nd eagle head shows up. So now there is 2 and it’s getting close to early resident goose season. I don’t know what happened to them but around late September they just up and disappeared. I know I didn’t get them. They were true blues and would have made a couple of nice mounts. I was secretly hoping they just migrated and continue to live the good life. I enjoyed the chance to get up close and watch them a little.

Qac

Comment

We have a snow living at our local park in MO that has been there for several years with the resident honkers and white park ducks. He acts shy and doesn't get very close to people. I assume he was a cripple and maybe can't fly well since he's stayed so long.

Comment

Working...
                    X