Almost Go Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost Go Time

So, who just has to grab their gun, gas up the truck, and go? Or like me, is looking at giving up duck hunting opportunities because the clock is winding down on getting everything ready for spring snows. What's your level of preparedness?

Work responsibilities aside, I could be pulling out of the diriveway in 2 hours to go set up a full spread. 15 minutes for a weekend temporary spread. I actually had trouble getting to sleep last night trying to visualize my set. I'm not ready to do a full set yet but this weekend looks promising for a smaller one. And I'm passing on duck hunting possibilities.

Comment

• Geez n Quackers
      Geez n Quackers commented
      Editing a comment
      Prepared people make me sick!

• Cornstalks
      Cornstalks commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too. Because I rarely am

In the process of preparing a new spot, clearing brush and weeds so we can throw some socks on the land and then some floaters on the lake. Getting rid of some older socks and upgrading to full bodies when we can. just got some rotary arms welded, we should have a few extra this season since we usually break a few throughout the year. Going to pick up our canada spread next weekend and stick our full bodies and wait for some sun and warmth. First time that we have had enough full bodies to hunt over and not worry about snow!

Comment

• Geez n Quackers
      Editing a comment
      Are you worried about all the new black topsoil? I don't know if it bothers snows or not. First year we buried pit, we covered all of the new top soil with hay. Bought a round bale and scattered it.

• duknut1975
      duknut1975 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, its sand. Going to mow all the natural veg around the bank and some buck brush that is too close to the waters edge. No pit here, just laying in whites along the shoreline

Ready as always. Just a matter of where and when!

Comment

• Geez n Quackers
      Editing a comment
      Ditto what I stated to Cornstalks!

Iv had a terrible case of SGF for a month now.

I have a couple jobs lined up for the next two weeks but the decoys are ready to roll anytime.

the snow map shows I have snow but it’s wind blown areas. Plus most ponds have a small area with open water.

I just need to get the snow completely gone so I can mow around the pond.

50 tomorrow in sw Iowa with a slight dip in temperature for the weekend.

no Arkansa trip this year so I’ll be good and ready for them.

Comment

Why no Arky trip? Seemed you pounded them pretty good last year.

Comment

• River Ratt
        River Ratt commented
        Editing a comment
        Just too much to get done before they get to Iowa.
        The group I go with, we kinda planed to go every other year.
        Unless there is a great juvie hatch

We've been at it for a month now but I'll be happy when the CO starts so we can run the e-caller

Comment

• Geez n Quackers
        Editing a comment
        Do the snows you hunt act different in the winter versus spring?

Duck season was so bad here, I never emptied the trailer from last spring to replace with honker and duck decoys. Only took enough field decoys out to fill 8’ bed.

Ever notice how sloppy and disorganized the trailer is for the trip home? I think some cavemen just jammed everything back in the trailer weather it fit or not.
      Ready to head for arkansas!

Comment

We're amped up and ready to go. Duck season was pretty bad and I signed off on it a few weeks ago. Gear is organized and ready. First go will probably be in AR early Feb, and then MO in the latter half of Feb. Unless birds dictate something different.

Comment

• Geez n Quackers
          Editing a comment
          Love to hear you report on Arkansas.

• jolle
          jolle commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do, we're lining up that trip now. Dates may be flexible based on reports, which already seem pretty good down there. But we don't think opening week will be fun competing with all the people, so we're probably going mid-month.

Good luck to you guys. I hope y'all take out some revenge on those devils for me.

Comment

Working...
        X