Snow goose ammunitionion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow goose ammunitionion

I have a connection to the ammunition industry and know first hand how crazy ammunition sales are. Black Gun, Pistol, buckshot ECT. I was cruising around the net and find that steel shot especially premium snow goose type loads are exhausted. I'm good for this year personally but so surprised this ammunition is out of stock. Sign of the times I guess. A lot of people I expect will be in a tight spot in the next few weeks. Bummer for sure

I took advantage back in October and ordered my ammunition then.
    I had a gut feeling this might happen

Comment

I’ve read that it may be late summer/early fall before ammo inventory is back to normal levels. Until then, the higher priced stuff can still be found....along with an even higher price.

Comment

I'm good just shocked to see not much steel shot not available now

Comment

I am also in the surprised camp. Seems like in recent shortages shotgun ammo hasn’t been affected, but obviously this time it’s different. Working on planning an extra trip this spring. If things all go well this year I may be scrambling by the end!

However I definitely don’t have the target ammo for summer trap! Also worried about the high school trap team I work with finding ammo if we can have a season with COVID.

Comment

If you guys to the north experience what we have thus far to the south, you won't need much ammo.

Comment

Amongst our gang, I think we'll be OK, although if we dip deep it will be into our duck shells, steel 2's and 3's. Those are fine for good decoying birds, so we shall see.

This snow storm hitting now may bump them back down. I've heard there are good numbers in AR and SEMO. I don't believe that helps you twdjr (TX right?).

Comment

Originally posted by jolle View Post
                Amongst our gang, I think we'll be OK, although if we dip deep it will be into our duck shells, steel 2's and 3's. Those are fine for good decoying birds, so we shall see.

This snow storm hitting now may bump them back down. I've heard there are good numbers in AR and SEMO. I don't believe that helps you twdjr (TX right?).
                No sir, it won't make a bit of difference down here on the Gulf Coast region.

Comment

twdjr, If the winter counts down there were higher - as they stated - where are your birds?

Comment

Originally posted by Geez n Quackers View Post
                    twdjr, If the winter counts down there were higher - as they stated - where are your birds?
                    That's a good question. There have been a couple reports from people claiming they are seeing them, but more reports of people wondering how accurate the count was. A few years back when we had a poor hatch we had a nice concentration of birds in my area, but killing them was extremely difficult. They would all move and hang tight together. That appears to be the same for this year. I hope the count was correct and they have a good hatch and return next season. This has been the toughest season ever for me. None of the outfitters are killing them either. They're mainly chasing cranes and ducks.

Comment

Off the original topic .... but there was a DU podcast in November with a biologist who has monitored snow and Ross breeding for years in the Arctic. They couldn't go to nesting grounds this year, but they also count ratios of adults/juvies in flocks on the Canadian prairies in the fall. He said per those counts, he estimates that the hatch was very poor again. Not what us hunters want to hear. But, fall hunters did pretty well on juvies this fall so let's hope its decent.

He also stated some interesting info about a recent trend of breeding birds moving east to Baffin Island due to habitat destruction on historic nest sites. He stated it seems a lot of wintering birds have also shifted east more into AR and then travel up through IL on their way up. Said people are even seeing and killing some in IN, which was essentially unheard of not too long ago. I live on the east side of MO and it does seem more come up through IL the past few years. But we also see a lot heading WNW over northern MO like they're heading for Squaw or NE/SD after coming up through IL. So we always assumed they got back on track. Was an interesting listen.

Comment

As far as ammo goes, I did order a bunch back in August. I definitely should be good for a couple of years and still have supplies to load probably another 2-3,000 shells.

As far as not seeing birds down south, there are plenty of geese. But a lot of the birds never made it down south like they normally do. SD just lost their last birds a couple weeks ago and rumor has it those birds only went as far as NE. The on going snow storm in Nebraska should pile them up in KS and points further south.

Comment

Back to ammo, I'm in good shape here for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                          X