Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7508.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	622.3 KB
ID:	21468

Leave a comment:

• Qac
    replied
    Thanks kansasgoose, great to see the owls again. I was wondering about them. I am pretty sure I have an owl working on my rabbit population around the house right now. Heard the death cry of a rabbit early (3:15 ish) this morning. I am guessing Mr Owl had an early breakfast. Now if I could get them to get the moles digging up my yard that would be a big win. Thanks for sharing, especially such a great picture.

Qac

Leave a comment:

• Kansasgoose
    replied
    This one is for you Qac. You mentioned once that "no where else has owls". Or at least something to that effect. Rather than make a whole new thread, I thought I would just add to this one.

This time of year, I normally see a drop in owl activity. They young birds start out on their own and adults go back to just being owls and not parents. Not sure why they leave my yard, but they often move over to the neighbors during the fall of the year. Recently I have had an owl in my yard everyday. Now I seem to have 2 owls, and they both appear to be male. Male and female barred owls are different sizes, so this should not be a mated pair. My owl box only produced one bird this year, so this is not my pair of young either. I cut this tree down to this for the purpose of being able to see my owls better. They have taken to it, and I see them on this stump often.

Name:	IMG_0326.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	21464

Leave a comment:

• twdjr
    replied
    Nice pics James!

Leave a comment:

• Kansasgoose
    replied
    I caught mom feeding the kids. I think it was a mouse.

Name:	mom feeding1.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	813.3 KB
ID:	18845

Leave a comment:

• Kansasgoose
    replied
    At least two in there. Two is the normal clutch size, for me anyway. They are just big enough to see out the hole. Next week I should be able to see their whole face looking out.

Name:	2021 twins.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	931.0 KB
ID:	18843

Leave a comment:

• Kansasgoose
    replied
    Update: Saw the very top of one young owls head. They are still too small to really see, but they are obviously getting bigger for the mother is now starting to sit outside the box. This morning I also saw both parents catching food and both were bring it back to the box, which is also a sure sign that the young birds are getting bigger. I would guess another week and I will be able to see the young owlets and will get some pictures of them. This is the busy time of year, now that both parents will be hunting rather than just the male. It makes for a lot of sightings in the backyard.

Someone asked before about the rail in the front of the box. No, it is not necessary but it allows for better sightings like this one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4-28-21.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	18832

Leave a comment:

• Brobones
    replied
    Very cool James, I bet they keep the rodent #s down....

Leave a comment:

• gulfcoast200
    replied
    Came across this one while out fishing yesterday. Didn’t want to look at me but if I gave him a good lip squeak he’d turn his head and look.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• twdjr
    replied
    Cool pics James!

Leave a comment:

• Kansasgoose
    replied
    Home watching my owls today. I saw a pair of crows fly down my creek early this morning. I then saw my mother owl sitting with her face in the hole, looking out. That is a little uncommon, so I stepped outside and heard the crows down near the box making noise. I'm sure most everyone has seen or heard a mob of crows harassing owls before, so I quickly stepped back inside and grabbed my .22 rifle I keep by the back door. I have a clear shot down to the box from my back deck, which is the point so I can see them, and I thought I would assist in the defense of the box. Pretty quick, one of the crows flies into view to a tree next to the box. Before I can even raise the .22, the father owl flies over and scares off both crows. I have seen crows chase owls many times, but this was the first time I had ever seen an owl chase a crow. I think my mother owl picked a very good mate.

I put the .22 away and had my binoculars out to watch for anything else that may be going on and a while later I see a bluebird land on the rail of my owl box. They are also cavity nesting birds, and I thought the hole was surly too big for this little bird to want to go in, but it did. I have never seen a bluebird fly backwards before, but it was pretty funning to see that bird backing out of the owl box as fast as it could. I was watching with the binoculars, but never saw the mother owl even look out, I don't imagine the bluebird was seen as a threat.

Lastly, its raining today, which in April really brings the earthworms to the surface. I saw the father owl fly down and catch a worm. I thought I had gotten the camera in time, but it gulped it down before I could snap the picture. I see my owls catching worms pretty often when the conditions are right. My yard has those big foot long earthworms.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ground owl.JPG Views:	0 Size:	983.4 KB ID:	18765

Leave a comment:

• Kansasgoose
    commented on 's reply
    what I see here is the male often calls to the female in the box, especially when he has some food to give her. I see the male deliver food directly to the box, but I have also seen her perk right up, and fly out to meet him. They don't talk a lot, but they do seem to talk several times a day and night to each other.

• jolle
    replied
    Very cool, I need to build one of those. I think we have a nest in the back pretty close. One hoots from a certain spot all the time and the other one flies around. I've called him over a few times recently. Very neat birds.

Leave a comment:

• Qac
    replied
    Great to see them again. Always enjoy your photos and progress reports. Thanks for sharing.

Qac

Leave a comment:

Working...
X