Everyone but our Canadian friends....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone but our Canadian friends....

How has the Mushroom, fishing and turkey seasons been going?

In MO, turkey has been great. In youth season my son killed one in 20 minutes from the roost that tried to kill our jake decoy .... nice to have an easy one once in a while!

Since then the hunting has been good but results not so much. Been taking a young man who has never turkey hunted on his family farm. First day a jake walked up and saw the boys final movements, no shot. Then we tried to close on the bigger group, who caught us in our final approach to our desired seat and also left.

Yesterday on a different plot we were in birds all morning and had our chance. These two birds gave us the biggest runaround ever, literally, that I've witnessed turkey hunting. There is a slight chance that multiple birds coordinated in incredible fashion to pull off the foolery, but they were close enough the whole time, and the others I knew about kept gobbling farther away, that I'm quite confident it was the same birds. Short story is while on the approach to a big group of birds gobbling, we got blasted with a 60yds away gobble that made us hit the dirt and pick a less than ideal seat regarding vision. These birds proceeded to start circling us, probably within 50 the whole time in woods with thick ground cover. They shut up for a few minutes and I knew what was up, but couldn't spot them. Next gobble sounded like 30 and straight out front, but the kid said no that was behind us! I turned my head, and could clearly hear drumming followed by a rattling gobble straight behind us! Wow, this move has been pulled on me before but it's rare to be caught completely off guard ..... we were on a big 3-trunk tree that split at the ground, so I had him slowly shift to point through the trunks behind us as they passed us by out of sight and went back to their original spot completing a 360 circle. At this point I figured they were not coming back, but they went silent again and the next gobble sounded back in "front" very close. But the kid said no, it was left and pointed his gun that way. At this point I have no clue how many birds are where, and exactly which direction they are. As I'm scanning back and forth figuring we may have both groups closing, I turn my head back left where I "thought" I heard them and there they stood 20 yards out, staring at me having busted my head movement. The boy was pointing 90 degrees left of them, and they started to depart so I told him to swing over hoping for a departing hail mary. Well, they hadn't actually busted me or him too bad, and when I starting cutting to get them to pop up for him one gobbled, but he never could get a shot as they snuck back through the junk. They slowly worked away into a field. So, per my calculations, they did a 540 or so degree spin on us, which was a new one for me and had us so confused and turned around that we didn't close the deal. We commenced circling and maneuvering the rest of the morning, closing in good on the big group but never connecting. I think he's addicted now, and hope we get him a shot this season.

As for this weekend I'm heading off for our annual big turkey camp and we will have a good time. I've found a few small mushrooms, and haven't gone fishing yet.

Comment

Went Turkey hunting this morning, Birds never left the neighboring property that someone else has permission on. Lots of gobbling, hen walk right past us at 15 yards.

Found most of the mushrooms in my backyard. Went one other time out to conservation land before the snow but only found ones that were past their prime. Took my 14 year old lab with me, on what seems to be some of the "last" things we will do together. We make some pair out huffing and puffing up and down hills.

I think I will go fishing tonight and give the turkeys another chance ot be stupid tomorow.

Great stuff with the kid, Jolie!

Comment

MN first season.

Comment

Have had a rough turkey season to say the least. I have filled mutiple tags each of the last 5 years. This year I have yet to get a bird. Have not been able to go near as much as I would like with work has played a major part. Have found a few mushrooms out scouting fields while at work that's all I have found. I like to eat them but a couple good messes and that's all I need to get me through.

Comment

Been out with my son on and off since MN A season started. First afternoon he took a shot at a Jake that was part of a group of about 8. They were all grouped together at about 15 yards very close to each other. A few of them didn’t seem to have visible beards. I told him to be careful to not shoot two and make sure it has a beard. I think he over thought the shot and missed. He was devastated. I told him it’s not a big deal, it happens, and in life we fall and get back up. I said maybe that means someone wants us to hold out for a long beard. We continued to hunt another six days with good activity around us just not close, mostly afternoon hunts. Then this past Saturday, day 8, we were able to get out for an early morning hunt. It all came together as if I actually knew what I was doing. In light snow and sleet a nice two year old came slowly across our bean field that had come from a different property about an hour after sunrise. My son initially couldn’t see him through his position in the blind. The Tom would gobble and half strutt then make another 5 yard gain towards us. When he was at 100yards I hadn’t called yet and from his position he couldn’t see our single hen decoy. I softly gave a few yelps and purrs. Tom fired off and slowly continued in. Tom got to 50 yards and still couldn’t see the hen. Gave a few soft purrs and he worked to our left to zero in on “her”. He got to an angle that he finally could see the decoy which now had a little snow on it’s back. I told my son he might hang up now and we needed to stop calling. He did what I thought and stopped strutted and gobbled. After a good five minutes or so he couldn’t take it any more and continued in slowly to meet this young lady. Just before he crossed the magic threshold I told my son to take the safety off. He continued all the way in to 12 yards but was still left of my son’s shot position. The bird investigated enough and lost his enthusiasm. He slowly started to back off to our left and I told Weston we’re losing him you have to get further left and take the shot. A little shift and slight motion from the blind window didn’t scare him. Weston crushed him at 14 yards I jumped for joy. Weston said did I get him, he later said after he shot he closed his eyes because he was scared he might have missed again, I said yes! Last year he shot his first turkey which was a Jake, this year Tom 22.6lbs 8in. So much fun!

Comment

• mo4NU
              mo4NU commented
              Editing a comment
              Tell him congrats and I am jealous of his kill rate... one of my buddies that is probably the best shot I know has missed turkeys so bad he sold his new turkey gun he bought one year after three straight wiffs! It just makes the hunt mean more when it works.

• mcotheyear
              mcotheyear commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks mo4NU!, will do. I missed my fair share and agree 100%

Congrats mcotheyear!

Comment

Thanks twdjr!

Comment

Finally punched my first turkey tag this morning after a difficult start to the season.

Comment

• Qac
                  Qac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great looking bird! Congrats

Qac

• mcotheyear
                  mcotheyear commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congrats, great pic🦃!

• mo4NU
                  mo4NU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Is it legal to club a turkey to death with that?

Originally posted by nebgoosehunter View Post
                Finally punched my first turkey tag this morning after a difficult start to the season.
                Congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats on the success nebgoosehunter and mcotheyear.

I'm in like a turkey twilight zone right now, I'm never had such success hunt after hunt. Every hunt has had birds in legal range and I've watched 5 gobblers fall. Some of those were hours-long battles of staying in proximity until the shot finally offered itself, but each day just keeps bringing more success. Probably shouldn't have written that down b/c my golden ticket will probably go away, but I'm enjoying it.

9 more days of MO season, and then my brother and I are hitting Idaho in a few weeks. I miss the snows, but the turkeys are keeping me satisfied.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	337BA253-3132-440B-BAD5-EA463D184CDC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.71 MB ID:	18839 Thanks Jolle and congrats to you as well. Filled my tag early Thursday morning. Lucked out on one of the boss toms in my area. Got a tag for my 9yo daughter this year, but she’s not that into it yet. I did get her out for an afternoon hunt and had fun watching a nice group of Jake’s coming back to roost. My son wants to go out a few more times to practice calling and possibly film. Otherwise crappie time.
                    Last edited by mcotheyear; 05-03-2021, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Forgot to report back again after my most recent turkey on May 1st. Did a camping trip up to the Pine Ridge of Nebraska with a buddy. We had three tags to possibly fill and only got one but it was a blast.

Comment

Working...
                      X