Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nebgoosehunter
    replied
    Forgot to report back again after my most recent turkey on May 1st. Did a camping trip up to the Pine Ridge of Nebraska with a buddy. We had three tags to possibly fill and only got one but it was a blast.

Leave a comment:

• mcotheyear
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	337BA253-3132-440B-BAD5-EA463D184CDC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.71 MB ID:	18839 Thanks Jolle and congrats to you as well. Filled my tag early Thursday morning. Lucked out on one of the boss toms in my area. Got a tag for my 9yo daughter this year, but she’s not that into it yet. I did get her out for an afternoon hunt and had fun watching a nice group of Jake’s coming back to roost. My son wants to go out a few more times to practice calling and possibly film. Otherwise crappie time.
    Last edited by mcotheyear; 05-03-2021, 11:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jolle
    replied
    Congrats on the success nebgoosehunter and mcotheyear.

I'm in like a turkey twilight zone right now, I'm never had such success hunt after hunt. Every hunt has had birds in legal range and I've watched 5 gobblers fall. Some of those were hours-long battles of staying in proximity until the shot finally offered itself, but each day just keeps bringing more success. Probably shouldn't have written that down b/c my golden ticket will probably go away, but I'm enjoying it.

9 more days of MO season, and then my brother and I are hitting Idaho in a few weeks. I miss the snows, but the turkeys are keeping me satisfied.

Leave a comment:

• mo4NU
    commented on 's reply
    Is it legal to club a turkey to death with that?

• mcotheyear
    commented on 's reply
    Congrats, great pic🦃!

• mcotheyear
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks mo4NU!, will do. I missed my fair share and agree 100%

• Qac
    commented on 's reply
    Great looking bird! Congrats

Qac

• twdjr
    replied
    Originally posted by nebgoosehunter View Post
    Finally punched my first turkey tag this morning after a difficult start to the season.
    Congrats!!!

Leave a comment:

• nebgoosehunter
    replied
    Finally punched my first turkey tag this morning after a difficult start to the season.

Leave a comment:

• mo4NU
    commented on 's reply
    Tell him congrats and I am jealous of his kill rate... one of my buddies that is probably the best shot I know has missed turkeys so bad he sold his new turkey gun he bought one year after three straight wiffs! It just makes the hunt mean more when it works.

• mcotheyear
    replied
    Thanks twdjr!

Leave a comment:

• twdjr
    replied
    Congrats mcotheyear!

Leave a comment:

• mcotheyear
    replied
    Been out with my son on and off since MN A season started. First afternoon he took a shot at a Jake that was part of a group of about 8. They were all grouped together at about 15 yards very close to each other. A few of them didn’t seem to have visible beards. I told him to be careful to not shoot two and make sure it has a beard. I think he over thought the shot and missed. He was devastated. I told him it’s not a big deal, it happens, and in life we fall and get back up. I said maybe that means someone wants us to hold out for a long beard. We continued to hunt another six days with good activity around us just not close, mostly afternoon hunts. Then this past Saturday, day 8, we were able to get out for an early morning hunt. It all came together as if I actually knew what I was doing. In light snow and sleet a nice two year old came slowly across our bean field that had come from a different property about an hour after sunrise. My son initially couldn’t see him through his position in the blind. The Tom would gobble and half strutt then make another 5 yard gain towards us. When he was at 100yards I hadn’t called yet and from his position he couldn’t see our single hen decoy. I softly gave a few yelps and purrs. Tom fired off and slowly continued in. Tom got to 50 yards and still couldn’t see the hen. Gave a few soft purrs and he worked to our left to zero in on “her”. He got to an angle that he finally could see the decoy which now had a little snow on it’s back. I told my son he might hang up now and we needed to stop calling. He did what I thought and stopped strutted and gobbled. After a good five minutes or so he couldn’t take it any more and continued in slowly to meet this young lady. Just before he crossed the magic threshold I told my son to take the safety off. He continued all the way in to 12 yards but was still left of my son’s shot position. The bird investigated enough and lost his enthusiasm. He slowly started to back off to our left and I told Weston we’re losing him you have to get further left and take the shot. A little shift and slight motion from the blind window didn’t scare him. Weston crushed him at 14 yards I jumped for joy. Weston said did I get him, he later said after he shot he closed his eyes because he was scared he might have missed again, I said yes! Last year he shot his first turkey which was a Jake, this year Tom 22.6lbs 8in. So much fun!

Leave a comment:

• whitey11
    replied
    Have had a rough turkey season to say the least. I have filled mutiple tags each of the last 5 years. This year I have yet to get a bird. Have not been able to go near as much as I would like with work has played a major part. Have found a few mushrooms out scouting fields while at work that's all I have found. I like to eat them but a couple good messes and that's all I need to get me through.

Leave a comment:

• GK1
    replied
    MN first season.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X