Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mo4NU
    replied
    A weird season getting weirder by the day.

Leave a comment:

• thatguy
    replied
    This guy was there when I got to work and when I left monday. They put out a site communication telling people to not touch them. The lake at work is seeing deaths as is Jon Redmond Reservoir.

Leave a comment:

• Brady
    replied
    Spoke to a friend who now hunts/guides in northeast Arkansas.

He said the specklebelly and white goose numbers are tremendous right now.

And he mentioned they are seeing "a few geese" dead or obviously under stress but nothing major. He said there would be 2 or 3 per roost.

They hunted today and had a juvenile snow goose decoy to 5 feet off the ground and then fall dead.

He said nobody shot it. The bird just collapsed on its own and fell.

Both of us have read and heard of that happening but never seen it firsthand.

Leave a comment:

• thatguy
    replied
    Buddy working today called. Said they have dozens of dead snows on the lake. USFWS is enroute.

Leave a comment:

• Brady
    replied
    100,000?

I have searched the internet and there are no stories about the dieoff in South Dakota or anywhere else this month.

All the reports are old. From the springtime when it killed waterfowl on the northerly migration.

Given the potential scale of this there needs to be some news coverage.

Watched your video.

That's difficult. That must have been hard to film.

Back in the days when we had large numbers of geese there would be dry years when he birds would become concentrated to what little water there was on the landscape. That would cause cholera outbreaks. A couple of years in particular it was really bad.

Do not have that problem any longer because we don't have many migrating to the Texas coast.

Leave a comment:

• Wapiti
    replied
    I have "heard" that there was a massive outbreak on a lake in NE SD. That report stated that there were 100,000 dead there and that GF&P had their hands full picking them up. I have not been able to confirm that report in any way.

Leave a comment:

• thatguy
    replied
    Buddy just texted me he can see 30 on the lake at work. He also said wildlife and parks is picking them up on another nearby lake

Leave a comment:

• Cornstalks
    commented on 's reply
    Really sad to see. I was hoping it had run it's course

• Wapiti
    commented on 's reply
    I did not. Although this is clearly "in progress", many of the birds had clearly been there for a while. Didn't want to be "That Guy", who would report something that has existed for likely a few days.

• thatguy
    replied
    I heard a report from Ar/SEMO of a large number sick and dying.

Leave a comment:

• Qac
    replied
    Wapiti, did you report that to the local conservation office? Doubt that they could do much. Information that maybe they could pass along to the general public of what it is and to dispel any sort of wanton waste situation. Sad to see that level of dead birds for sure.

Qac

Leave a comment:

• Wapiti
    replied
    This juvy snow goose is obviously suffering from the bird flu. I did attempt to put it out of it's misery, but it actually flew off.

https://youtu.be/rUjQ_d0AdKQ

Leave a comment:

• Wapiti
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wapiti
    replied
    Yesterday I was just south of Redfield SD and as I was driving by Mud Lake, I looked over and immediately thought, "Uh oh". There, lying on the ice, were thousands of dead or dying snow geese. They were lying in the ditches, in the weeds on the road, pretty much everywhere. I took a video, which I will try and upload. Most of the dead birds I saw were juvies, including one that was still on his feet in the road ditch. I hadn't heard of the bird flu in SD this fall, but it is obviously here and running rampant. It was pretty shocking and depressing to see.

No luck so far of the video. I will keep working on it.

Leave a comment:

• Whitespread1
    replied
    Seems to be much worse this fall than last spring. Only ran across 2 in nodak with the wobbles during the couple weeks I was there this fall but have seen many more in Missouri in the few weeks they have been here. It will be interesting to see how it progresses as the numbers of wintering birds build in the area I hunt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X