No announcement yet.

Farm fun for wildlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had a busy spring so far. I had to burn some extra fields that I was not expecting to so I could meet my CRP contract obligations. We have not had great weather for burning as it has been very windy. Lots of early green up as well. Thankfully I was able to get it done and it really turned out better than I thought it would. The prairie is coming back in very well so I am happy with the outcomes.
    I got my 5 small plots of Pheasants Forever Blizzard Buster in the ground last Saturday. Only totaled about 4.5 acres, hopefully the deer don't eat it all away before September ends. I might stick in one more small patch if I can find the time.
    My winter wheat looks good so the doves should be happy about mid August.
    Still working on some cleanup in the timbers and around my pond from the Derecho that we had last August. Several trees that were damaged have now fallen and need to be moved or cut up. I have a huge old oak that went across a creek crossing that I need to get out sometime. It's so big I am not looking forward to doing it but I will have to at some point.

Any way that's about all the farm news I have for now, seems like there is always something to fix or work on. I am about a year and a half away from retirement(87 weeks), I am looking forward to spending more time outside on projects around the old home place.

Hope you all are having fun and productive springs, give us a report if you have a spare minute.

Qac

Comment

Qac- Always fun to hear what you are doing on your farm. It sounds like a very special place, and Im glad you have it and are able to enjoy what it has to offer.

My little slice of heaven here is about the way I want it now. I have a strong clover crop this year. I can't say it is doing much to bring deer my way, but I do see rabbits, raccoons, and opossum out in it on the trail camera pretty often. If nothing else, its at least less ground that I have to mow. My two owlets made it out of the box this year and seem to be big and strong. I did not have a wood duck pair in my box this year, but I did at least have a pair visit it. This year I had 2 wood ducks and 5 bluewing teal visit my puddle in the back yard, that is an all time high for one spring. This winter I was able to haul in and mulch my nature trail through the timber in the back, so now I can walk it when it rains and not get muddy. I don't have any major changes planned for my place at this point, it really is about right.

Fishing has been productive this spring. I managed to catch a new personal best channel cat already. This fish came in right at 20 pounds on my scale. I have had several days catching limits of channels this spring. Its about time to start fishing for fun, and try for more trophy fish.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3-27-21.2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	18865

Comment

• Qac
        Qac commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a nice fish. Congrats on that one. I'll bet he put up a good battle. Thanks for your comments there appreciated. I look forward to your posts on your property and activities, you have some interesting ones with the owls and blue birds. I have seen some deer in the clover this spring but it seems they like it best in the fall. I wouldn't be to concerned at this time on yours. Its really good to have it as it will support alot of bugs for little birds to eat. Pheasants and turkeys seem to really thrive in those plots early in the year.
        Good luck with the fishing. That is something I plan to do more of once I hit retirement. Keep posting the whoppers till then, I'll survive by looking at and dreaming till my day comes.

Qac

Ive planted a buckwheat food plot for bees and doves. Also planted 2 acres of milo/egyptian wheat for the quail. Ive got a bag of soybeans to plant as well. Only burned about 5 acres, could never get a south wind to burn more on a day I had off.

​​​​​​​
      ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Qac
        Qac commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks good, food plots are fun and provide a boost to the local critters. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Qac
    Working...
    X