No announcement yet.

Farm fun for wildlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got wheat and turnip plots planted. Also saw some quail.

Comment

• Qac
      Qac commented
      Editing a comment
      Good deal, looks great.

Qac

This has been a tough year for me on food plots. My millet did well, I have some sorghum that made it also. Sunflowers were a fail. They were hammered by the deer and most plants only made it to about 18 - 20 inches in height. Weeds kinda took over and prevented growth for the most part. they did have little, tiny flowers and really small seeds but not enough to make any difference. Last week I mowed the 2 plots of sunflowers and tried to burn them but they didn't burn very well. So, I tried to disc the remainder but broke both of my very old, very old discs beyond the point of reasonable repair for me. I have retired them to the scrap heap. I decided to plow the patches to get the soil broke up and weeds turned under and that went pretty well with the old 2 bottom plow. Of course, the tractor acted up during that process, so I had to have the repair shop come out and help me get that fixed. Fortunately, that wasn't too bad. Had a neighbor lined up with some bigger equipment to come by and disc over the plots but he called with bad news that his disc was broke and he needed some parts to get going but due to supply chain issues he would have to wait some time. I am in a bit of limbo right now. I have been looking for 2 years for a new 3 point disc to replace my 2 old ones and have limped those old ones along until now. I just have not been able to find one and most of the dealers I have talked with just laugh and say you can't get those, it impossible. I finally found a dealer that has one on his order list and I've got dibs on it. It was supposed to be finished building on Friday from the factory. The dealer just does not know a date yet when it will ship. Until then I am waiting. I hope it comes in soon cause I want to get in some winter rye and a couple of patches of turnips, reddish & kale.

Most of the crops around here look pretty good but several weeks behind normal. Dove season opens Thursday and looks a little bleak for me until I can get a disc and get going. The local farmers that usually chop some corn are not going to get anything started for at least 2 weeks from what their telling me so that hurts a little bit too. Oh well, I will have to get a little creative this year is all. Good luck to all

Qac
    Last edited by Qac; 08-28-2022, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qac View Post
      This has been a tough year for me on food plots. My millet did well, I have some sorghum that made it also. Sunflowers were a fail. They were hammered by the deer and most plants only made it to about 18 - 20 inches in height. Weeds kinda took over and prevented growth for the most part. they did have little, tiny flowers and really small seeds but not enough to make any difference. Last week I mowed the 2 plots of sunflowers and tried to burn them but they didn't burn very well. So, I tried to disc the remainder but broke both of my very old, very old discs beyond the point of reasonable repair for me. I have retired them to the scrap heap. I decided to plow the patches to get the soil broke up and weeds turned under and that went pretty well with the old 2 bottom plow. Of course, the tractor acted up during that process, so I had to have the repair shop come out and help me get that fixed. Fortunately, that wasn't too bad. Had a neighbor lined up with some bigger equipment to come by and disc over the plots but he called with bad news that his disc was broke and he needed some parts to get going but due to supply chain issues he would have to wait some time. I am in a bit of limbo right now. I have been looking for 2 years for a new 3 point disc to replace my 2 old ones and have limped those old ones along until now. I just have not been able to find one and most of the dealers I have talked with just laugh and say you can't get those, it impossible. I finally found a dealer that has one on his order list and I've got dibs on it. It was supposed to be finished building on Friday from the factory. The dealer just does not know a date yet when it will ship. Until then I am waiting. I hope it comes in soon cause I want to get in some winter rye and a couple of patches of turnips, reddish & kale.

Most of the crops around here look pretty good but several weeks behind normal. Dove season opens Thursday and looks a little bleak for me until I can get a disc and get going. The local farmers that usually chop some corn are not going to get anything started for at least 2 weeks from what their telling me so that hurts a little bit too. Oh well, I will have to get a little creative this year is all. Good luck to all

Qac
      How big a tractor are you running?
      We are in moderate drought bordering on severe. Lots of corn coming out and most of the after wheat beans arent going to make it.

Comment

• Qac
        Qac commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a 68 hp Massey Ferguson.

Qac

Some good news, my new disc showed up yesterday. I got a Land Pride 2596 3 point disc with 22 inch notched blades. I also got a QH15 quick hitch and a hydraulic top link. I got home and unloaded it and went right to the field to get it dirty. WOW, what a difference it is. Sooooo much better than the old worn out discs that I had. 2 passes and the fields look great. I finished near dark with the discing and some other work and the news said rain late Saturday. I had planned to get my winter Rye in the ground this morning but as you may have guessed the weatherman was only off by about 12 hours. A couple of big downpours already have washed out my planting plans for today. I will get it in the ground Tuesday, I hope. At this point I am just happy to have the new disc and am looking forward to using it for many years to come.

Qac

Comment

Comment

• Cornstalks
          Cornstalks commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks heavy duty Qac. I've looked at them at Tractor Supply and thought they would get pretty good penetration.

Got all the plots planted with winter Rye and 2 plots i through out some turnips, kale and brassicas , oh and some radish too. Only a month late on that but maybe with this goofy weather I’ll get lucky and make a little forage for the critters. Crazy to think I did this in 94 degree weather on the 20th of September, felt more like August.

Qac

Comment

• Kansasgoose
          Kansasgoose commented
          Editing a comment
          if you get some quick rain and it stays in the 80's another month, you should have some yields. Im confident about the warm, but not so confident about the rains. Good luck this season.
      Working...
      X