Spread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spread

Looking for opinions on what to do with our decoy spread. We set the decoys and are not happy with how we set them. Anyone have any ideas they would be willing to share?

With my limited experience, I'll take a stab at it. First of all, the large gap that you have the blinds in really sticks out. Using the drainage ditch is not a bad idea, but I would not split the spread up like that. I would move the decoys to one side of the ditch, with the tip of the decoys at least 15-yards or so down wind from it.

Second, your spread looks too crammed together, with no real opening for the birds. I would suggest opening up the spread into a "V" or "U" shape and leave a landing hole for them. Hope that this helps.

Comment

It looks super impressive!! Probably the biggest thing that would cause me concern is that the rest of the ditch doesn't have any cover in it to speak of. As such, your hide obviously stands out. I am assuming that is a pit you dug in there?? If so, you probably are not interested in abandoning it. If you are not invested in a pit, I would think about some type of gilly suit, or a blanket with stuble straps. Something you can camouflage to blend in better with the ditch.

If you do have a pit blind in there, maybe stop all decoys 10-15 yards from the edge of the ditch. Kind of like you have them behind you. I might be over thinking this, but by doing that, you may be showing the incoming geese that the birds on the ground are respecting the danger factor associated with the ditch. Just my thoughts. The other thing would be to set all those decoys out in the middle of the field and where whites while lying in the spread.

Comment

It was a grass ditch but the farmer burnt the ditch off about 3 days before we set the blind in it so we are kind of limited. We are going for like a field crossing look which wouldnt be burnt off anyway. I am concerned with the decoys right up to the edge too and were trying to stay away from a "kill hole" type look but may have to open it up to give the geese some options. The spread is somewhere around 2000 fullbodys. More than enough to be efficient.

Comment

very poor set up.ill be over with my trailer ang get the decoy spread out of there.they will look much better in my field.bad dog

Comment

Seems pretty limited to one direction of wind for a permanent spread.

Comment

• whitey11
              whitey11 commented
              Editing a comment
              That is my concern too.

I could be way off base here as I am new to this sport, but does a snow goose know that is a ditch? Why not put decoys on top of your pit as well as along side of it? Last year, a grass hillside across from my pit was getting burned and the birds were on both sides of the fire. They were jumping over the fire 20 yards or so to the burned up area.

Comment

Hard to tell how deep and wide the ditch is. Impossible to hide the blind so I would go the other way. Throw some branch type cover on and around the blind to look like brush that didn't burn out completely. Do the same thing in a couple other spots in the ditch. Set the decoys in three big clusters surrounding the blind and off of the ditch like the back group is. Set decoys loosely between clusters.
              Change it ten times when they don't work right!

Comment

In regards to the blind I would maybe try smaller blinds or chairs that would stay down in the shadows created by the ditch. I have used shadows from tall banks for ducks with good success.
                As for the decoys. I agree with others seems unnaturally tight to the ditch, at least for that many closely grouped decoys. Also the sides of the spread are very straight. I would make them a little more irregular.
                I am not an expert just my two cents. The overhead picture makes a great tool for analyzing. I wish I had that option!

Comment

Ok, I can't believe no one else picked up on this, the vehicles are too close... Sorry, I just had to say it.

Seriously, widen the spread along the ditch into a "W" might help and less behind but really spread out along the ditch. Need to give the birds a spot in front of the shooters to work into. Focus your sound there to where you want them to land. With that many FB's it will be a challenge to move it much depending on the wind.

Qac

Comment

Yes, the vehicles are way to close. And I would pull all the decoys on the left side of the ditch, and hunt the ones on the right side. The decoys on the left look like a human made spread of decoys, the ones on the right looks like a small flock of birds. In addition, if you just have decoys on the right, the birds will circle the spread, that's what snow geese do, and as they do that, they should fly directly over the top of the pit/blind giving you a great shot. If you want to add decoys, I believe you can pack them tighter on the right side, and also put more towards the upper left corner, where the truck is. Birds will hit the edges late in the year, and it would look normal, but birds should never want to land that close too the road, which will still give you a good shot over the pit/blind.
                    You can put water in corn and hunt over it legally, but you can't put corn in water and hunt over it legally.

Comment

Sometimes we do over think things. A couple years ago I found a feed that were on both sides and ON a field road. I drove right down the middle and they parted like the red sea. Why they were on the road I have no idea unless the farmers grain truck had a leaky gate on it.

Comment

I hunt a farm with a similar setup with a ditch blind and do extremely well with it. Decoys on one side and right to the blind and keep them a few feet from the ditch. I run a group of fliers to the left about 5 yards off ditch and a group to the right about 20 yards away. Birds come to the right fliers and slide to the left and get killed in the middle inside 15 yards. Keep your sound close to the blind.

Comment

I'll assume that the top picture, that the top of the picture we are looking south and you are trying to mimic a flock of snows that have started feeding on the north section of the field and jumping over the ditch and feeding on the south (upwind) side of the field.

If that's true, I'd make my biggest concentration of decoys on that upwind side of the field and have an area that birds can work to land that would cause them to come over the ditch at good shooting distance. Then sprinkle the rest of the decoys downwind headed north and scatter them in around and loosen up the spread.

Right no, the decoys on the north section against the ditch look unnatural too me.

If you are welling to ditch the blinds and wear whites, setting the spread more in the middle of the field could be an option as well.

Comment

1) Move the damn trucks. You spend thousands on decoys, blinds, etc, along with the energy to set it all up and you're too lazy to walk? 2) cover your blind with decoys, it sticks out bad 3) open up your spread so the birds aren't working over such a big tight mass of decoys

Comment

• goosebuc
                              goosebuc commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I'm guessing they were just setting stuff up and not actually hunting.
                          Working...
                          X