• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex is back ! Where you been brother?

Comment

LOL. Refuge forums mostly.

Comment

Seems pretty obvious they weren't hunting at the time of the photo.

Comment

I would prefer to open up the landing zone and make it more favorable for the geese to see a good spot to land. Also, I would place decoys behind the blind so to help them blend in more to the spread. Duckmaster

Comment

Yes we were just setting the decoys. We have since spread decoys out, covered the shooting holes, ran decoys over the blind. Oh and are shooting a few geese

Comment

• Sarge
              Sarge commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad to hear it! Send some photos.

• whitey11
              whitey11 commented
              Editing a comment
              I will when i get a chance to upload some. Cold snap and some snow is going to halt the migration for a little while.

You'd be surprised to see how close some park their trucks while hunting. Hope you have good shoots.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex T. View Post
              You'd be surprised to see how close some park their trucks while hunting. Hope you have good shoots.
              I have always wondered if a goose knows what a truck actually is? I know we park about 150 yards away from my canada goose pit and they come in like its not even there. We do park further away for snows, I imagine they are smarter and that is one less thing to change when things are not going right,

Comment

I don't think a truck itself causes alarm. A truck in the middle of nowhere close to a spread I think raises suspicion. I used to park close to a permanent spread that was near a tractor shed out in the field. A pair of trucks parked outside the shed seemed to have no effect. We now park fairly close to our spread but are able to park across the gravel road and off onto a wide shoulder area. Our vehicles appear to be parked at the field across the road. Snows routinely fly over our trucks at long shooting range as we arrive and leave. The majority of our approaching geese come over or close to our vehicles.

Comment

1.) Move further away from the road. Just one more thing that may or may not mess up the hunt.
                  2.) I have personal experience with trying this and if the wind is at your back here the geese are going to work to the top end of your spread and the way your blind is set it doesn't look like you can shoot that direction very well. I'd take everything from behind you and make your spread wider in front of you. If you are hunting the edge you want the birds to mainly stay out in front of you, it'll decrease the chances of them picking out your blind. I'd make it about 75 yards wide with the kill hole about 30 yards wide and starting 20-25 yards from your blind.

Comment

• whitey11
                    whitey11 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is somewhat my concern as they will work the extreme tip of the spread. However, we haven't killed a lot of geese because there isn't many here yet, but the ones we have shot are literally straight up 20 yards high. That is with a south wind. We kinda actually want them to go over the blind and shoot them in the a** so when they roll with the wind they come back over. At least that is the thought and how we try to run our speakers. On a north wind the geese that have came in tried to work too far out and front and made for longer shots so that is something we are going to have to work on.

Straight up at 20yds usually means they are looking at the upwind end of your spread which is typical for snows. Don't know if you are trying to set 1 spread and use it for all conditions or setting it daily.

Comment

Here are a few photos I took. I really need to invest in an actual camera. Anyone willing to part with an old one?

Comment

• Qac
                      Qac commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice! Like the last one of the incoming group.

Qac

• whitey11
                      whitey11 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks. The one picture is of the greater we shot pretty cool the picture doesn't do it any justice. As for the blind being in a burnt ditch, it didn't seem to bother the birds at all. I don't think we shot at any high birds at all. Every group we shot was committed. We had a great year. Could have been better but not going to complain
                      Last edited by whitey11; 03-23-2018, 03:52 PM.

As far as parking the trucks far away go, we had one of our best days last year with a truck in the field.

Some guy was surveying the field to build terraces the following fall. His truck was no further than 100 yards out from our spread and he was out walking around the field with his equipment several times while we were decoying and shooting snows. It was odd. Since that day, it has lessened our anxiety about parking the trucks too close to the decoys. And supported the notion that when the geese want in, they want in. Nothing will stop them. Not even a blue truck and an upright walking human with surveying equipment.

Comment

• whitey11
                      whitey11 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I know it is not a truck but one of our best shoots we got caught with the four wheeler about 20 yards from the spread and three of us shot close to 50 geese in an hour.

Personally I would have set the decoys with the ditch instead of in a line across it
                    I do this on my pond and completely disregard the wind direction
                    ​​​​​​ I set the farthest decoys out from the ditch (US ) 35 yards and take up as much field with them fulls as possible. I leave a small gap between the grass and decoys
                    ​​​​​​ go heavy on the decoys at the farthest out ends and that will stop them from landing out of range on you. Again 35-40 yards to your left and right.
                    I have loose pockets and family groups in the middle and I set it 50/50 not a obvious “kill hole” but a spot for them to land in.

with 2000 decoys you could set like you did on the other side with a small pocket or pockets and take up some more field
                    Iv done this now for 4 years and I like shooting birds from left to right or vise verse better than strait at us
                    on windy days I let the birds get past us slightly and then you can get off more then one shot before there gone with the wind
                    Obviously not your fault they burnt the ditch and its a much better idea than hiding in the decoys
                    As most people have said get as far off the road as possible and your trucks as far as possible away as well
                    an ounce of cure is worth a pound of prevention
                    I set my decoy 3-4 feet apart were I want birds to land and tight we’re I don’t. Then go to clumps and pockets right in front of the blind
                    the gravy birds will hit on the edge of the tight to loose sucking in the rest to your bigger pockets
                    tough to explain but I hope you have an idea

Comment

• whitey11
                      whitey11 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the reply Ratt. Must have came out of hibernation finally!

I don’t do social media much anymore and prefer to stay low
                    but I’m always lurking 😉

Comment

Been a long offseason but as duck season is approaching I can't help but start thinking about this coming spring. A few remarks from last year regarding the setup in this post.

1. Being that close to the field road did NOT make any difference in fact many days we parked the four wheeler there in a rush and it had zero effect on geese finishing. However, on sunny days with the trucks parked 200 yards to the south on south wind days the glare off of the windows we "think" had some effect so we would move them a LONG ways away.
                      2. The burnt off ditch did NOT matter. We ran decoys across the blind and down in the ditch both.
                      3. We stretched the decoys down the ditch to east and west and shortened the spread up which we feel helped on days where the wind was more east or west with no N/S in it.
                      4. Geese responded well to flagging. We did use some flyers and used a clone. I will say it seemed like the geese did finish over top of the clone. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not.
                      5. I know there were a LOT of Juvenile geese last spring and we did shoot probably 60-70% young birds but I do not remember ever shooting at birds that were what I would call the kind where you say "Do you want to try them" height. Damn near every bird was committed and it was a sweet thing.

This coming year sounds like it may be a tough test. These next few months will seem to drag on.

Comment

Working...
                      X