Flyer pole colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flyer pole colors

Looking towards the coming spring season and thinking back to last season has me thinking about my poles for flyer decoys. I am currently using 1/2" metal conduits painted flat black, however they seemed to be fairly noticeable to me from a good distance away! So question is what color do you paint your flyer poles? Do you use one solid color or camoflauge with multiple colors? Thanks

Our conduit poles are painted with lighter colors that match our fields, mostly tan and green. Our sillosock flier poles, which are steel, I just let rust. They don't get too dark and we don't seem to have a problem with that.

Comment

I use a couple of different Rustoleum Camo colors, Flat Earth Brown and Flat Khaki. I first paint the pole with the Brown and then stripe in the Khaki. This combo really breaks up the single color look. The poles almost disappear in corn fields.

Comment

I too use the Rustoleum camo colors, mainly in the light tan. I wouldn't paint anything black unless I was hunting a bean field. I always have multiple cans on hand, as the rotary machines get dinged up and a little fresh metal will shine pretty bad out in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Wapiti View Post
          I too use the Rustoleum camo colors, mainly in the light tan. I wouldn't paint anything black unless I was hunting a bean field. I always have multiple cans on hand, as the rotary machines get dinged up and a little fresh metal will shine pretty bad out in the field.
          I wrap all of my poles with the cloth hockey stick tape and then spray that down with khaki color paint, only need to do this once no touch ups needed after that... Does not matter if the poles rub together anymore there will not be any shiny spots to worry about.

Comment

• Qac
            Qac commented
            Editing a comment
            Should have known the guy from Canada uses hockey stick tape. Prolly pick a roll of that up in just about any gas station/grocery store around. Heck it's prolly one of the required items on every back to school list from elementary school up thru high school...........

Nothing beats Parkers autumn gold paint.

Comment

I painted mine white and they just blend right in.

Qac

Comment

• Kansasgoose
              Kansasgoose commented
              Editing a comment
              white is always a great option in the snow spread. . Im a little surprised more people don't do that

• timber hunter
              timber hunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmm, I hate it when everything is produced in white because it goes in a snow goose spread. First thing I did when I got my new caller was wrap the damn white cords in camo tape. Last thing I want is white poles. different strokes...

Love the hockey tape and associated hockey tape comments!!

Comment

Had kids at that time at home still playing hockey.... tried it out with a roll from their hockey bag and thought it worked out well so went out and bought 3 rolls of it. Since I also use the same poles for hunting ducks and dark geese did not want to paint them white. I have no trouble decoying geese with the poles painted the color I choose.

Comment

Thanks for all the feed back guys I appreciate it. I think I will try the two tone brown and khaki over hockey tape. The hockey tape is a fantastic idea and answered part 2 I didn't post about how best to keep them From getting beat up. White poles probably work good, Mine too may be pulling double duty in the honker spread.

Comment

As Ross said, for 1/4"-3/8" cold-rolled steel...leave em outside and let them rust. BUT another option for those using conduit ( that I've had good success with for several years ) is to wipe the bare conduit down with acetone and let dry. Then use camo Gorilla tape. No painting necessary. Large camo rolls and says matte finish but all mine have been dead-flat. Absolutely no sheen or shine in the field and blend in with corn-stubble background amazing.

Comment

I also paint with Rustoleum Camo colors, Flat Earth Brown and Flat Khaki. Make sure you wipe down the EMT conduit with white vinegar then paint thinner. wiping down removes any oils and the paint will stick much better. The poles seam to disappear in the field.
                    Stopping Traffic. Terminal Flights

Comment

Hockey tape is the trick! Use it on our rotaries, and flyer poles.

Comment

I use a metal etching primer spray you get in the auto section at Walmart

its a green / grayish color and really disappears. Also use on spinner poles and aluminum layout frames.

works really well

Comment

Working...
                        X