Delaware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delaware

Plenty of Snows from the center down, seems to be a lot more pressure on the birds from the outfitters and kids not in school because of Covid or just younger people not working because of Covid. I've been trying to let my birds sit an extra day to get them more comfortable on a field but it doesn't seem to help. They have started to make the move to grass the past few days and hopefully that will make them a little easier to pattern. They just have not been going back to grain regularly. Our sheet water is drying up and with the upcoming Moon they should be field roosting soon and to the feeds earlier.

Not much has changed so far this week. Geese are still being shy, not necessarily decoy shy but kinda like assholes. May try to combine 2 rigs the next hunt to see if numbers matter.

Comment

• Geez n Quackers
      Geez n Quackers commented
      Editing a comment
      I think in all my years, I have only seen one time that the snows roosted in a dry field. It was late spring and they all bailed and went north that morning. I assumed they were eating ahead of a long migration.

• ross
      ross commented
      Editing a comment
      They field roost out here all the time. The main roosts are on the coast and that can put them 15-20 miles away every day. When they feed all day they will dry field roost. They will break down into smaller flocks and roost on local sand pits too, especially when it gets really cold.

Being able to run the e-caller has certainly helped so far. Monday we had a snow storm followed by rain and heavy wind on Monday and I choose to build a blind with a roof for my party, we would not have been able to hunt without doing that. Did ok with the conditions. Tuesday was similar conditions with less wind and we were on an evening X and did better than Monday. Had 2 big twists and picked at smaller flocks.

Comment

Wednesday we hunted a 3 day waste corn X that had 15-18000 on it. Woke up to 2 inches of snow and unfortunately the geese did not come back to the field. Difficult weather and difficult geese equals poor hunting.

Comment

nice reports thanks...keep up the grind. looks like hard freeze coming

Comment

• Brobones
          Brobones commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet login name

We hunted the youth day Saturday and took the day off from the Snows. Today back at snows with terrible results again. Had a 2 day feed and great weather for today but the geese wanted nothing to do with us. We were in a blind that was already in the field from the regular season and the birds were accustomed to it but still went somewhere else. This has been the most difficult year I have ever hunted snow geese.

Comment

Heavy rain after setting up yesterday but we still had high hopes because of the amount of snows that were in the field for 2 days. It was a worked corn field with cover crop. Only ran 1000 sillosocks and 4 clones. Geese liked the e-caller quieter this morning. Had more interest in the rig and had some opportunities all morning, tough conditions and poor shooting kept the numbers low bit plenty of chances and we were satisfied with the day.

Comment

• Brobones
            Brobones commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a great day to be among your decoys...

• Cornstalks
            Cornstalks commented
            Editing a comment
            There are the bonus days when everything works like a charm but a day like your where you have enough birds to keep it interesting can be chalked up as a good day. I'll take a day like that anytime

Went with a little different approach today. Had a field with 5-6000 in it and just put out 10 dozen full bodies snows and about 100 canadas way above us. Layed in high corn stubble in camo and had a decent shoot with perfect decoying birds. Wouldn't try it every day but it was the choice today and it worked.

Comment

Congrats on the hunts ross!

Comment

Rain again for the morning, my group wanted to be in a blind and not on the ground. I decided to run traffic on a past X and the feed was 2 miles away. Shot an early single and thought we would be good for awhile. Everything looked at us hard and we got a few spins but nothing big. What we did kill was within 10 yards so I was happy with that. These birds have been very consistent and very difficult. Rain or snow in the forecast for the next few days.

Comment

Thanks for the reports. Nice to hear something even though it’s been challenging. Good luck!

Qac

Comment

Had a great feed for today, about 15000 on cover crop for 2 days. Woke up to an inch of snow at the house and thought about going back to bed. Get to the field and to my surprise there was no snow. Good wind to start but you could feel the cold front. Big early spin and I let a few land hoping to draw in the crowd...nope, birds on the ground jumped and the ones on approach bugged out. That's how the morning went. We weren't skunked but it was another difficult day. Hunting tomorrow in rain on a half assed X, trying to stay positive but it is getting hard to keep at it with no success.

Comment

Way to stay after them ross!

Comment

Do you shoot any lesser snows? Would love to see some comparison pictures laid side by side with some greater snows.

Comment

• ross
                        ross commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A few but not many, I'll try to find a picture

I'm trying to feel bad for ya but letting some land to go for the wad sounds soooo much better than my last two seasons.....

Comment

Working...
                      X