Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They work on making the pond better but you hunt it? You are one lucky guy. I need a set up like that.

Comment

• River Ratt
      River Ratt commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a family owned farm. So I got some pull. So I'm going to talk to the guy running the exscavtor when there out there and have him do a couple things for me. 😉

• River Ratt
      River Ratt commented
      Editing a comment
      I grew up hunting and fishing this farm. 31 years ago now. I have a picture of snow geese covering the pond in the spring of 1974. Two years before I was born. It's been a magnet for over 40 years.

• MODAKR
      MODAKR commented
      Editing a comment
      that is cool to know Ratt... and has a huge impact obviously. makes a huge difference to hunt a historically good spot. hunting back in ND where i grew up is a little bit the same. I have records on and off for the past 20 years there are certainly historically 'good' hills and fields that we do well on all waterfowl in the fall. Not every year but its fun to look at the records and see how we end up hunting on same quarter or half section of land multiple times.

boy still decoyin em in Fremont co.bad dog

Comment

SE Iowa had a good day today. I killed 7 very close geese today with my little 28 (3 nice adult Blues, 1 juvy snow and 3 ross). What a great day. I think under normal circumstances (my 12) and a partner or 2 we could have shot 50 pretty easy. I worked birds in nice and tight, didn't shoot into any big groups and really had fun. That's kinda been the story here this year. I have worked birds in and only taken a small fraction of what I could. For the most part I have hunted small fields along the edges with 21 dozen or less decoys. Yesterday I only had out 18 full bodies and decoyed in a mature snow like he had found mama. That was the only opportunity I had, just didn't see much. What a difference a day makes. Pretty sure I saw a small reverse migration with the incoming weather. Don't think I will see too many more on this side of the state. I will bet the west side will be doing well this week.

Qac

Comment

boys said a lot of birds from the north.bad dog

Comment

Originally posted by Qac View Post
          SE Iowa had a good day today. I killed 7 very close geese today with my little 28 (3 nice adult Blues, 1 juvy snow and 3 ross). What a great day. I think under normal circumstances (my 12) and a partner or 2 we could have shot 50 pretty easy. I worked birds in nice and tight, didn't shoot into any big groups and really had fun. That's kinda been the story here this year. I have worked birds in and only taken a small fraction of what I could. For the most part I have hunted small fields along the edges with 21 dozen or less decoys. Yesterday I only had out 18 full bodies and decoyed in a mature snow like he had found mama. That was the only opportunity I had, just didn't see much. What a difference a day makes. Pretty sure I saw a small reverse migration with the incoming weather. Don't think I will see too many more on this side of the state. I will bet the west side will be doing well this week.

Qac
          Two blinds hunting SE Iowa where a million geese were roosting a couple weeks ago saw zero geese between the two today. I've seen one flock and a group of three in four days hunted this week.

Comment

Picked up our decoys today. It was an enjoyable season considering we set up in a new area on property we have never hunted. We consistently had good decoying birds, just not the high volume of birds flying by that others do.

A couple of notes:

On two separate occasions we arrived at our spread to find a dead blue goose laying in our decoys - I'm guessing someone south of us got into some and these geese happened to find our spread a safe place to perish.

My brother shot a banded Ross' goose, hatched in 2013 or earlier and banded on Johnson Point, Nunavut.

Ended the season today on a group that came in on a string from several hundred yards up, all the way down to 15 yards. I will never get tired of seeing that.

As someone else stated on the Nebraska page, we are fortunate to be hunting such magnificent birds. I have the utmost respect for any animal that can survive and flourish the way snow geese have in an ever-changing environment.

Comment

Comment

• twdjr
                twdjr commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice Picture!

Cool photo and congrats on a good season in a new place. Those of you that live where the birds migrate and have the opportunity to hunt them often every year make the rest of us quite jealous. My buddy and I were just talking about that a couple of days ago. I'm still hoping to get after them again this year before they make it to Canada.

Comment

That's a great picture, Greg. Bet you scratched a couple out of that group.

Comment

We had a bunch on Saturday but 98% moved out Sunday. Had permission to hunt two feeds and both got jump. So Saturday afternoon we just set up a few fulls and tried getting my youngest son (age 7) a bird. As expected we only had a handful of birds work into range but max shot twice at birds on the wing. He ruffled a few tail feathers on the second bird and told his momma it was an awesome day. Although we were pretty disappointed and didn't even want to try that made setting up and taking down much better. On Monday they rest of them moved out. So I guess it's on to youth turkey season in two weeks.

Comment

• Qac
                    Qac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    RR it's never a bad day when the kids get an opportunity to be with dad doing something together. Great that he got to pull the trigger and had an awesome day. Thanks for sharing. Good luck turkey hunting, will look forward to seeing how the kids do this year.

Qac

• bad dog
                    bad dog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    good show ol boy.bad dog

I seen a looser blue goose in rapp park this week.bad dog

Comment

been kinda dry in a lot of places this year.maybe they will use some old haunts this fall.desoto,riverton,forney.i know squaw has good habitat this year.bad dog

Comment

Working...
                    X