Saskatchewan 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saskatchewan 2017-18

Sounds like the birds are starting to roll into Sk. 3 weeks till we leave. Tic toc

A friend of mine is up there now and birds are showing up in good numbers. They got these in a couple of hours. Lots of Ross geese as you would expect. Only 19 more days for me. Tick, tick, tick, tick.

Comment

I hear things are starting to pick up. Where is Brobones when you need him. I need my snow goose pics fix my trip is only 19 days away.

Comment

My son keeps in touch with a friend he made up there years ago in the Central Sask area we hunt. He messaged today that snow started arriving in small but huntable numbers a couple of days ago. He said most of the wheat and barley is harvested. They had some decent rains the past couple of days. It may be dry but he said the farmers are in good moods and he wouldn't worry about denials by farmers regarding driving into fields.

Comment

Got a report and hunting has been hit or miss. Birds are skipping fields. Said they are feeding on lentils and hitting the barley in the morning. They had a good day today and got 108. Where is Brobones and his reports?

Comment

Brobones where are you?

Comment

Just got a report that the weather has turned wet in Sask. Anyone on the ground up there?

Comment

Fella travelling from Grand Prairie to Ohio says he saw lots of snows from Saskatoon to Regina. They were hitting Provost region two wks ago. Here in AB, they have only just started showing up south of Red Deer. Even the big speck flocks are only just starting to show. I guess we will find out this weekend what is going on. Clipper came thru last weekend, shud have pushed birds a bit. I see they are still shooting specks in the Peace country, although the pics from up there don't show any snow cover on the ground. Appears the storm stayed south of Edmonton for the most part, which is OK, we needed the moisture. Most of it has melted off again by today. Been a bit of a struggle to get fields to shoot in the area I hunt, lot of hunters, not a bunch of birds. Numbers are way down compared to last 6-7 yrs for Sept specks. Crops were off up north fairly early, been warm up there also. Think they've been moving slowly this year. Although everything I've heard out of Sask seems to be normal. We've limited on two shoots with 3 guys, 12 on another, 1 on another, but the ducks have filled in the gaps. Biggest flock of specks I've seen was maybe 8,000. Hunting partner said a 100,000 bird flock showed last wk., but next to no snows yet. He had a few good shoots on specks last wk., couple of duds as well.
                We were surprised by field conditions. Sept pea fields were bleached, we used barley blinds, and they were not light enough. Peas were off starting Aug 1st, barley as well. May be some late wheat left to come off, lots of farmers are done for the year. Farmer chased partner into a field and warned him about field fires. The fella spent 4 hrs on one the day before. We were glad to finally see birds getting on barley mid Sept. All the roosts here are really low, will freeze up pdq when the weather does cool down.
                Last edited by DaveC; 10-05-2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Just got back from Saskatchewan. Ton of pressure. Seemed like we started seeing more birds towards thee last few days. Small pockets of birds. First couple days seemed like birds were just getting there. Several 200-2k bird feeds. Started seeing bigger feeds later in week. Missed out on a large feed one day and hunted down the road on a duck hunt. Birds never showed back up for those guys. Saw the birds lift off roost and get high going south, never went to feed.

Comment

Just got back from North central Saskatchewan. Very good numbers of juvies. Makes for a fun hunt when they are around. Weather was great except one rain out day. Too old to lay out there in the rain. Not much wind but didn't need much with the youngsters around. Visited some old friends and made some new ones. What a special place. I feel very fortunate that I can go there and enjoy the country.

Comment

I can tell you where they aint!!! best hunt was the first hunt mix of snows and canadas. 3 guys and i think 18 snows bout the same canadas and 10 or so ducks. we never even set for a snow hunt. Arrived on the 17th scheduled leave date of the 28th. Left on the 24th.

Comment

More snows arrived in south central AB this wk, numbers are way down though, for this wk, compared to previous years. We may be getting a bit of a double whammy with very low water in the major roosts and secondary roosts and the clipper last wk. Birds are breaking ice already, heavy pressure on the few birds that are here. Specks seem to have almost disappeared, snows are at 10% levels so far, of what we worked with last year, ducks were hard to find, except in pockets.. May be that they are following the snow line east & south across AB also. One fella we know, 60 miles N/NE was having 4 man 100 bird shoots. Had one spotting nite snowed out, had one nite when 3 of us couldn't find a field that was not being watched and/or spoken for. Never had that happen before. had one good duck shoot, 60+ with some geese that showed up as well, one good snow shoot, we stopped at 64, at the beginning of the week, downhill after that. Not sure what to think this year.

Comment

Well finally catching up at work and able to put together an update. Went up to Sask on the 6th and put in one day of scouting. Amazing to see the marshes dried up after so many years of good water. Not too surprised it had to happen and 15 years ago when we made our first trip we had the same conditions. As you might expect lots of hunters in some areas and not many in others. We were able to find a good group of birds with no hunters around so happy about our prospects. The first day had great wind and cloud cover which resulted in 100 birds with most being rossies and about a 50/50 split on juvies. Had a hard time finding a good flock with the wind we were going to be looking at so decided to hunt the same field which I never like to do but the birds really liked the field and good weather for a second day. As it turned out a lot of big snows and specs showed up and had a great shoot getting 64 geese and 10 ducks. Weather wasn't as good the middle of the week and scratched out good numbers of birds but had to work for them. With 2 days of hunting left were waiting to hear from a friend who had lined up a field for us but as it turned out he ditched us for another hunt and scrambling for our next days hunt. Got to the fields after the birds were on the ground so had a hard time finding a field and went back to our first field AGAIN. Did ok and got 34 geese and was able to scout another field while we were hunting for our last day. As it turns out my favorite day was our last as the field had a ton of birds in it but was down in the dumps as the forecast was for clear and sunny with no wind. Well we had a great show setting up as we had the northern lights flashing to the north all morning long. To our surprise as it started to lighten up there was a band of clouds moving down from the north and just a whisper of wind. As it turned out the clouds rolled in all morning long and had perfect conditions. We gave the field and birds a 9 but the forecast was a 2 and turned into a 10 for the morning and ended up with 80 snows and 20 specs in about 2 hours. Friends of ours were hunting 20 miles to the west and had nothing but sun. Great trip and probably the most consistant week weather wise and ended up with 396 geese for the week. Another great trip and enjoying our great friends in Canada. The best of luck for those still going up. Good hunting! Bob
                          Last edited by Oly1; 10-19-2017, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Excellent report

Comment

Outstanding Oly1. So happy for you that you got into them like you did!! And we all appreciate that detailed report. Gotta love them northern lights!!

Comment

Working...
                              X