Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas 2021

Snow geese arrived in Kansas today.

I heard reports of birds in mid-eastern MO early this week and this morning had a message from a fellow in NE OK that a few birds had arrived.

Comment

James, get out there and push them this way!

Comment

I was out all weekend. Listening, but never heard any snows. A lot of whitefronts on the move though.

Comment

Is that early???

Comment

"normal" for snow geese here is the first week in November.

We are not over run with snow geese, but there are some. We don't normally get snow in October either, but we had some.

Western Kansas had temps in the single digits already this year, that's early!!

Comment

Spent the weekend out in the field with a small spread. Never saw or heard a snow but had heard of birds not that far away. Did put the hurt on a few ducks and a Canada though. It was just nice getting out again and took the edge off the off season suffering

Comment

I saw quite a few birds heading south this weekend, more on Saturday than Friday. Friday only had 2 low flocks heading south in the morning that didn't act interested at all. The rest of the flocks were a mile high for the rest of the day. Saturday was a bit different. Steady streams of flocks heading southeast all day very high. There were also flocks heading northwest both high and low. A couple of flocks seemed to slow down for a look and one even turned from a half mile away at a 90 and come took a look but aborted at about 500 yds away. Finally mid afternoon Saturday a flock working its way into the wind heading northwest balled up behind me and then a dozen birds tried to pull off the flock. Al but 2 were sucked back into the flock and those 2 came down fast. Both of them did it right until they were just over the outer edge of the decoys before deciding they didn't like it. I dropped the first one and missed the 2nd. I was rewarded with a fine looking adult blue and although it ended up being a one bird weekend I was happy enough with that success
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20201204_083209.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	16948 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201205_141652.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	16949

Comment

I've always been amazed at how much more difficult it is to get snows headed south to stop compared to on their way north. Way to get out after them!

Comment

I agree Geez. As a rule, I get my rear handed to me in the fall. With the exception being last year when we shot 153 in a day and a half. But that is the power of the juvie. Most of the time the geese want nothing to do with your decoy spread, or they change fields etc. Have always wondered if an e-caller would make that much of a difference in the fall. Wish they would let us find out!

Comment

Have you ever had 4 or 5 guys pretty good with blowing calls in your spread? I've wondered if that would be the difference maker. Seems like by the time they make it back north after being shot at for a couple of months south they would be a little more educated. Fall birds I would think should be easier. My fields are a bit in the wrong spot in my mind for fall so there's that too. Obviously there's not the colder weather and frozen fields holding them back from going south either and with that maybe not an urgency to be well fed for the trip like there is in the spring. I just view it as more challenging and a one bird day means a little more than it would in the spring

Comment

A trophy in my book. Well earned. Thanks for the report. In the fall my experience is, get on the X, hard to do sometimes and they do change fields . If not on the X get in a traffic zone near the X. Calling is difficult to replicate but one trick I do that has worked is one guy or more doesn’t seem to matter is doing a feeding buzz or growl. I do loud and aggressive. Seems to get them interested. I do it all the way to the ground or when ready to call the shot. If the birds start sliding off I sometimes give a few barks but with the call they don’t seem to like that much, I do better with my just mouth calling using my voice. I’m not sure if it’s volume of tone that makes a difference but they respond better to my voice.
                        The other factor is the hide. Adults I think are picking us out even in whites. Juvies not so much. To finish bigger groups you have to really disappear.
                        One other little trick is use a Canada call and be aggressive on it. I have had some success with that, maybe it’s just different than what they normally hear but it can work.

Keep after them, wish we had some around here in the fall.

Qac

Comment

I agree Qac, fall and winter you really need to be on the X, and preferably hunting staged birds not just passing through. I have even found that to be iffy as wintering birds can really have a group mindset. If they jump fields, they all do. The only equalizer is really bad weather.

Comment

We have done plenty of calling, but with little to show for it. The snow geese are normally so noisy we don't think they can even hear the mouth calls. The 153 we shot all came in without a call being blown. Again, that's the juvie difference.

Comment

This weekend and mentioned by mo4NU in the general section started out slow. Saturday saw 5 flocks and a few gave us a spin and that was it. This morning didn't seem to hold much promise. The weather had cleared up and the first flocks were high and in migration mode. Late morning saw a very large mass of birds probably five miles long and pretty thick. Looked like the south end of Squaw Creek had emptied out and they were all heading southeast. It was pretty quiet for an hour. That's when a whole cluster of silly things happened. First of all I had made the mistake of putting too many clothes on underneath some 5mil waders and couldn't walk much better than a frozen penguin. But since I had forgot my coffee in the truck I decided to fix both of those oversights and waddled back to the truck leaving mo4NU behind. Once at the truck of course here comes a flock which did several spins over the decoys. I didn't leave the remotes to the motion accessible and silently apologized to my partner Then another flock and another but none would commit. Finally outfitted where I could move I saw another flock several miles away turn towards me so I tried running back up the hill. Halfway there with my heart about blowing up they overtook me and 3 more flocks joined them. Mo4NU had a mini tornado going on above him and I thought he was going to open up on 3 low ones but couldn't tell exactly where he was in relation to the birds. They made their retreat and I started up the hill cussing under my breath at my poor timing. I hadn't made it 40 feet and saw another flock heading for the spread so I sprinted the last 100 yds and seriously thought my chest was going to explode. Turned the motion on and got hid. This flock started a spin and then I noticed a flock at about eye level all in a straight line coming at us and thought at first they were specks until I saw the white on them. They came straight in low and started landing in the decoys. How or why I didn't have a round chambered is still a mystery. The next 2 shots close to the sun was just poor shooting. Talk about unprepared, I didn't even have a box of shells opened up and spent precious moments tearing one open and reloading.. A juvie Blue had circled back and still wanted in. We dropped that one and saved the day. That was about it for the rest of the day but those 15 minutes made the weekend and cause for some laughs. Amateurs lol. I do think the motion helped out (when I was there to turn it on)

Comment

Working...
                              X