X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri 2021

2020-21 reports
    Attached Files

Ends up being a little more than a smattering... I'll try to post some pictures later since my phone doesn't want to do it

Pictures from earlier today

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_144705.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	920.9 KB
ID:	16713 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_144739.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	835.3 KB
ID:	16714 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_144710.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	16715
    Last edited by Cornstalks; 10-28-2020, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornstalks View Post
      Ends up being a little more than a smattering... I'll try to post some pictures later since my phone doesn't want to do it

Pictures from earlier today

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_144705.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	920.9 KB
ID:	16713 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_144739.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	835.3 KB
ID:	16714 Click image for larger version

Name:	20201028_144710.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	16715
      Nice amount of birds!

Comment

Dang! Gets me thinking I need to go get at least a small spread put out. Moderating temperatures will hopefully keep them around.

Comment

G&Q, that's exactly what I've decided to do. I started going through and fixing decoys last night and will doing more here in a bit then loading up a small spread in the truck. I hope to get a spread set by the evening and then we shall see what we see tomorrow (mo4NU joining me). Can't wait to get out in the field!

Comment

I've been out on my deck since 3:30 am smoking baby backs for an early thanksgiving feast. Snows have been flying over pretty steady all morning in Kansas City about a flock every 10 minutes. I would imagine in the broadness of a couple of flyways that amounts to quite a few birds. I'll be out in the field tomorrow and see what's happening with this weak front rolling through

Comment

on the Kansas side they were moving last night as well. I also heard some specks moving through which is odd for this time of year.

Comment

Could have probably capitalized on a low fluttering flock of snows today if we'd had a spread out in the field above us while duck hunting on the Kansas side. Left at 11 and mo4Nu spotted a flock on the way home too.

Comment

I spent a very enjoyable afternoon in the field yesterday. On Thanksgiving, I passed by Squaw Creek on the interstate and saw a huge tornado on the south end where they usually dump into. On up the road to the north a couple of miles I spotted a few birds in the air and then suddenly the sky blackened from over a drainage levy next to the road as several thousand took flight. The guy behind me wasn't too happy about my abrupt braking and erratic driving. A few more thousand were still on the field. Gave me butterflies. Yesterday mo4NU invited me to hunt on his field so we gave it a whirl with a mixed spread ducks and geese. Saw a lot of ducks early and all high but a really enjoyable sight in the frosty air even though they paid my hail calls no mind. Then a low flock of fluttering snows off to our right surprised us but wouldn't turn as they headed south. A flock of specks came by for a look and I laughed out loud at some of the silly sounds I made on a snow call trying to sound like a speck but it was just enough to get them close enough for the most awkward shot of all, directly behind us. Getting up, turning around and shooting just wasn't productive but probably should have been. After that another flock of snows did take interest in us and pivoted around and floated down. At the last moment they got cold feet and made a few passes. On the last pass better shooting would have dropped a bird or two but that didn't describe either of us. More ducks and a few honkers went by and then a lone snow snuck up on us possibly from a higher flock that had went over a few minutes before. A wary bird for sure and I guess I just wasn't speaking his language well enough. Barely in range we gave him a try but he escaped. Not one to give up, he was back in five minutes and must have circled 20 times. At last he set up on us right and looked like he was going to commit. He veered off to the right in range and we gave him all we had but it was an awkward shot for 2 righties and he ducked our shots. The afternoon warmed up. Flights of snows every so often in the stratosphere looked like sparkling diamonds in the sky. I hated for it to end. Thanks to mo4NU for the day! I'd say for those people south of here you still have a lot of birds on the way
                  Last edited by Cornstalks; 11-28-2020, 11:14 PM.

Comment

That sounds like one of my adventures. 🙃. Thanks for sharing it. Still can’t beat getting out and enjoying what there is to see. Better luck on the next time out.

Qac

Comment

Hunted the river valley on Sunday, Did not see a duck or honker. Larger group of snows flew down the river to the south east until they got spooked by a small plane. Turned around and went back north. No high groups like Cornstalks witnessed in Kansas earlier in the weekend. Of course we bailed on the set up by 10 am to make church so some of those could have moved thru during the day.

Buddy took his family to the refuge formerly known as Squaw on Sunday afternoon, still plenty of snows there.

Side note... Did find a lone snow hanging with the town honkers. Hope he decides to stick around.

Comment

Plenty of small groups flying around Saturday in Northwest MO.

Also noticed a few groups flying the river on Sunday.

Comment

Was down in NE Ark and the bootheel duck hunting over the weekend. There were very few geese present. Probably the fewest I have seen while down there. One good sized feed and a few small ones is all I saw.

Comment

Still some in ND and LOTS in SD

Comment

this might be the year that they snows are north of the Dakotas by the time the CO even starts.

Comment

Working...
                              X