Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw, ponds are still frozen though water from thaw on top of the ice and small open holes appearing. Still frost in the ground. Some stakes pushed in fine. Other places it was difficult to break through. Temps here are forecast on the cool side all week. I think there is likely to be some migration but not the massive two day push we have seen the past two springs.

Comment

I'll make a combo report. In eastern MO there are birds going over now in the dark and my wife said they've been going over all day.

We just returned from east central AR from three days of hunting. Good numbers of birds remain, I'd say 25% percent juvies in flocks and quite a few ross. However, they didnt play real well. Weather wasnt the best until today when we had to depart, and they certainly were acting like snow geese. Saw some migration today and a little yesterday but not a ton. Birds were feeding very close to roosts and not returning to previous feeds, making life tough. They were also playing follow the leader and not deviating very much. Feeds were scattered around and made competition tough. Birds that gave some looks mostly acted like snows and veered off after a swing or two. We got 5, 14, 4. Figured with the bird makeup we saw it would be better, but there were plenty of birds to hunt.

Comment

This morning I saw several thousand in different waves going N and NW up the Mississippi river north of St. Louis. They were high enough that they may have been migrators, but also could have been local feeding birds as this is common on the ducks clubs and refuges in that area.

Comment

A few thousand more headed northwest this morning up high, on the east side. Seems like they're trickling through, but I'm also not outside during the day and there could be a lot moving.

Comment

About the same thing on the west side. Spec'ks, Canada's and snows in smaller flocks. I'm thinking that it would be a good week to be hunting. Our spread is getting set tomorrow afternoon and we will give it a go this weekend. If the forecast holds true I don't see much of a fluctuation from today in the next month. It will be in contrast of last year's migration compressed into a few days and stretched out into several weeks

Comment

Drove from SW Iowa to central MO this afternoon, lots of geese headed NW. Big groups from Hwy 36 south to the river feeding.

Comment

Drove from STL to Iowa border yesterday. Couldnt confirm if snows of not but saw some smaller groups trading over river from Palmyra to canton

Comment

AnY reports out of NWMO ? Northern MO seems to be loading up this week.

Comment

Central MO was dead this afternoon, hunted for about 3 hours and only thing I saw was a lonely bird that was in my spread when I got there and still there when I left. Didn’t have the heart to shoot it..
                    hopefully tomorrow and Saturday we get some new birds. I think the adults are all north of me now.

Comment

East central MO today, planned to run traffic for migrators and partner found birds in one of the fields the was an option so we tried it. Zero returned to the feed .... estimate 20-30k seen in the morning feed time in 3 big bunches that didnt mess around and knew where to go.

From 1 to 4 pretty steady migration from SE heading west, assuming out of IL. Unfortunately very few came over our path, most were quite a ways south. Had a few pass over us that gave a spin or two, not dropping much. No dice.

Evening feed was much less than morning, may have lost birds or they went elsewhere.

So, not a shot fired, but a nice day to be out and the birdwatching was good. Felt dejavu to last year though.

Comment

Set up on a feed here in east central MO to Tonight. We have watched the birds use this field tonight, this morning and last night.
                        so who wants to bet that they laugh at my 600 sock spread in the morning ???

2018 was awesome. 2019 was terrible. So far for me, 2020 is worse than 2019.

Comment

What a disappointment the weekend was. Saturday saw some migrators in the afternoon that were on a mission. Ended up shooting 4 singles all day. Yesterday started strong with 3 juvies breaking from a flock and finished, then a single Ross soon after. This was all before 7:15, hunted the rest of the day and didn’t see 100 birds and they wouldn’t work. Should have been a good migration weekend, but once again I was fooled.

Comment

Hunting south of Squaw all weekend, we saw and experienced a mix. Friday afternoon was setting up. We saw very few migrating and then it was mostly right at dusk. Couple small 1-2k feeds in the area. Hunted Saturday and shot 3 early. Very few in the area or migrating. We did drive through Squaw in the midday. I have seen it when the count was 1.6 million. I am confident that there was more than that there Saturday. Yesterday was better for hunting. Quite a few birds feeding near us, and several flocks migrating. We shot 34. Almost all adults. Everything that wanted in decoyed in very close.

My son is out today and they are seeing a lot of birds feeding in the area and a lot of migration around the rain showers. He said quite a few migrators have come in to them. They had 25 when he texted me just afternoon.

Comment

They ended with 30 today. Most activity stretched out over the morning. Very few lulls he said. They were eating at a place up in the area after dark and he said birds going over north were frequent.

Comment

• Cornstalks
                                Cornstalks commented
                                Editing a comment
                                That's great! Makes me wish I had taken this week off . Hope that steady trickle of birds continues foe a few weeks

Report from my east central MO Sunday solo hunt... at least some birds, alot of them specks, had been using this field friday night, saturday morning and evening, so i set up my 600 sillosocks Saturday evening. there was a bit of a low grass waterway that i chose to hide in. the birds had used every square inch of this 150A field so I just tried to go where I thought i could have a reasonable hide. Birds were were trading around right at first shooting light and coming off the nearby roost and i had a decent sized group (500+) work (mixed with a lot of specks)... there was a bit of wind but a bit more would have been nice / better. however, i probably watched them work for 10 min... getting closer and moving away and then coming back etc. i had a pair of blues (with all the specks i made dang sure i knew they were blues and light was good so I was sure) work in close 2 or 3 times... I passed on them hoping i could get more in closer but it just didnt' seem like it was going to happen so i took the blues on a close pass.
                              a few min later i had another good group start working... this group i just let work and in the end i didn't fire a shot. they just left. so that was my experiment in seeing what they would do. I had another group start working and watched a group of about 6 snows work over me 2-3 times and I scratched 2 of them out at about 45-50 yds. that was pretty much the first hour's worth which was exciting and no doubt that the specks helped me out as they would start to work and the snows would follow. The birds really were unsure of themselves.. i had groups come from different directions... circle me... fly off a half a mile in different direction. come back and work even closer. the birds i shot into started a new feed about 3/4 mile away but it didn't build into a really big feed.

someone jumped the nearby roost mid-morning after most of the feed birds had returned to it. and those birds left and i didn't see anything that looked like them returning.

I missed a chance at a single that showed up out of nowwhere while i was adjusting decoys and didn't bring gun with me. the only other shooting i had was the lunch goose... the one that is in your decoys when you come back from lunch. this has happened to me so much recently that i approach my spread on my return like i'm lookin for a rooster to flush out of the spread!

for most of the afternoon high migrators were tornadoing into the nearby roost. i only had a couple groups come over me and they would give me one spin and move on. all those new roost birds went out to feed in the opposite direction of me, unfortunately, and all i had show up was specks wanting back into the field again so i pulled the spread.

the positives were that the birds did return to the feed... the bad thing is i normally don't have the time to scout to make sure i can find a consistent feed let alone get permission on it. so that is tough. there didn't seem to be many juvies in these groups... hopefully a higher percentage of juvies will still show up.

as challenging as this spring and last spring have been i will gladly take getting some in close like i did and it was really a great day in the field. now we have a couple inches of snow and i'm probably going to stay out of the slop for another week or so.

Comment

• Cornstalks
                                Cornstalks commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Really like that hide! Sounds like a great day and good job

• Kansasgoose
                                Kansasgoose commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Perfect report. Wish all people would report just like you did here.

• fox and goose
                                fox and goose commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thanks for the great report, good luck.
                            Working...
                            X