Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice looking spread and good hide. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that for a solo hunt!

Comment

Nice story glad you and the dog got some work in

Comment

This morning I saw 5 groups totaling about 1000 going up the Miss river north of St. Louis MO. It's very cold and skim ice this morning, but they appear undeterred. Actually appears to be a slow consistent trickle lately. It may be more pronounced this weekend when it warms up again.

Comment

Central MO weekend report. Got 4 both days.

Saturday we could had a few more as usual. Wasn't quite set up in time which cost us a couple birds. Had 5 birds come out of a flock put were all separate when working. Got 2 blues right over top and 2 Ross dropped in further down the spread. Gun jams and such only ended up with the 2 ross from that. Some action the first 1.5 hours and then it was dead for several hours. About 1pm saw a few migrator groups but no interest. Here and there would be a few groups but nothing interested. The last 1.5 hours were a bit more steady with some migrator flocks. Had one good spin but nothing decoyed. Saw a few thousand total.

Sunday morning was much worse for numbers. Killed 2 Ross early. A few flocks of specks worked us. Had a lost pair come in from the heavens and got them. We saw one group of about 50 snows and paid no interest and about 30 Ross worked for a bit way high but left. Never saw any other geese and starting picking up at 11.

It was a new spot but I believe its at least under some travel routes based on Saturday. Don't think I get back out this year. I know one group a bit north of St Louis had 30 by noon yesterday.

Comment

We saw good migration Friday through yesterday. Most of it occurred from just before sunup to noon. A few until about 1:00, then dead. Quite today except for birds feeding in the area. Still not seeing significant numbers of juveniles in the flocks over us. Birds are decoying well. Probably 90% of bag were adults over weekend. A lot of them have iron stain on their face.

Comment

G&Q, I noticed a lot of that too. [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":15318}[/ATTACH]
                Attached Files

Comment

• jolle
                  jolle commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There's a ton of water down south this year, I wonder if that's playing into it. In AR there is just water everywhere and birds weren't moving much because they didn't have to when we were down there a few weeks back. Sitting in that water a lot during the day is where I presume they get the rust.

anyone hunting east of Hwy 63 and north of I-70 in MO the middle of this week? hoping to find some birds this weekend in that region. sounds like IL still holding good numbers.

Comment

• Wheels
                  Wheels commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hunted yesterday in the area you are asking about. Shot one that was in the decoys when I got there, never saw another bird after that. Only hunted the afternoon though. I think the NW wind is keeping the non breeders from migrating in my opinion. Wind is supposed to switch to the south for the weekend, hopefully things will pick up. Earliest I’ve seen the migration end if in fact it’s over in this part of the world. Even the outfitters up by Squaw are panicking and moving north already.

Let them all go north but Squaw is showing 1.3 milliion now. I hunted this morning. There were more birds feeding around my area than I have seen all spring. Similar latitudes in north central KS are also holding huge numbers. I saw a steady migration today. Not mile long trains, but 50 - 1,000 birds in a group. Probably every 20 minutes. Problem was most were in the ozone and never broke formation. Couple did though.

I was hunting alone for a change and did as much watching as shooting. I had multiple opportunities for shots inside 30 yards including a group of 2-3k at 20. I would never pass that if hunting with others, but these birds were coming off a feed that built up close enough to my spread that I didn't want to scare them off. It was enjoyable just watching. After they left I shot 9, and almost threw my gun in the lake. Have you ever experienced the Benelli click after pulling up on a flock of 20 migrators that circled down from the stratosphere to within 20 yards. Then jam two shells while pulling the bolt to extract the chambered round? Oh, but I must have imagined that. Benellis are flawless!

Comment

• Cornstalks
                  Cornstalks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've experienced the benellu click second hand when my partners gun does it. Provides an easy opportunity to rib him for not pulling his weigh with that flawless benelli t ha ha ha. As mentioned, the replacement spring did the trick for him and was a good bit longer than the one in it. Sounds like a fantastic day in the blind!

• Sarge
                  Sarge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Been there before with my SBE 2. I replaced the factory spring with a Wolf Magnum spring and cleaned the recoil spring tube. No problems since that. Benellis seem to prefer a quick, hard bolt close.

• jolle
                  jolle commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like an awesome day, but some frustration there. I've never had a Benelli, so I have not had the joy of the click.

The click can happen if the bolt gets pulled back slightly or doesn't slam shut between shots due to dirty oily bad spring in the butt stock. I've had it open a little and click because it got hooked in my blind. The bolt has to slam shut to work.

Comment

I shoot a Benelli, and the click happens rarely for me. I check to make sure my bolt is in battery frequently. You are shooting out of blind that you are standing up in and there should be nothing to catch on the bolt to pull it out of battery like a layout blind does for lots of people. I would say your gun is dirty or you have used a lubricant that is not doing what it is supposed to be doing for you.

Could be a malfunction in a spring as mentioned also.
                  Glad you have gotten some awesome action today... :)

Comment

Sarge, I have had the Wolf spring for a couple years. It helped. I have an extension tube on the gun now. After changing the magazine tube spring it's been functioning well. Earlier, in addition to the click, it kept jamming on the second or third round.

Anyhow, about the movement today. A friend and I hunted today. we shot seven on a rather quiet morning. Birds feeding around us didn't move much in wind. Very little apparent migration. I left in afternoon. He shot 18 more. He said their was a big migration movement about 3:00. He was just in the right place where they all wanted down.

Comment

[QUOTE=Geez n Quackers;n15373]Sarge, I have had the Wolf spring for a couple years. It helped. I have an extension tube on the gun now. After changing the magazine tube spring it's been functioning well. Earlier, in addition to the click, it kept jamming on the second or third round.

Anyhow, about the movement today. A friend and I hunted today. we shot seven on a rather quiet morning. Birds feeding around us didn't move much in wind. Very little apparent migration. I left in afternoon. He shot 18 more. He said their was a big migration movement about 3:00. He was just in the right place where they all wanted down. [/QUOTE]

I am sure he was happy he stayed around.. I know I would have been very happy with shooting 18 :)

Comment

Long day in NWMO, morning was pretty good giving 8 a permanent resting place. The afternoon was much different only adding one more to the total. Still seeing Lots of adults.

Comment

We saw similar Snowbuster. Had a good morning from shooting time to about 11:00. We had a little difficulty with frost and glare off of wet decoys for a period. when it quite at 11:00, it quite completely. We saw only two birds the rest of the day. Really odd that there was no pm feed where they had been so thick in the am.

Comment

Working...
                        X