• Show
Clear All

• twdjr
    replied
    Nice hunts jolle!

Leave a comment:

• jolle
    replied
    As a quick mid weekend update with more to come later, there is some hope left. Chasing some local groups of a few thousand around has us at 28 friday and 20 Saturday. Friday mostly feed birds, Saturday mostly afternoon migrators since feed moved on us. Heading to the new feed here shortly this morning. Mostly juvies, then some ross, only a handful of adults. Not a ton of migrators each day but enough. Seems like it's near the end but the good stuff if you're in the right spot.
    Last edited by jolle; 03-08-2020, 06:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Geez n Quackers
    replied
    We saw similar Snowbuster. Had a good morning from shooting time to about 11:00. We had a little difficulty with frost and glare off of wet decoys for a period. when it quite at 11:00, it quite completely. We saw only two birds the rest of the day. Really odd that there was no pm feed where they had been so thick in the am.

Leave a comment:

• Geez n Quackers
    commented on 's reply
    Oh ya he was!

• Snowbuster101
    replied
    Long day in NWMO, morning was pretty good giving 8 a permanent resting place. The afternoon was much different only adding one more to the total. Still seeing Lots of adults.

Leave a comment:

• Brobones
    replied
    [QUOTE=Geez n Quackers;n15373]Sarge, I have had the Wolf spring for a couple years. It helped. I have an extension tube on the gun now. After changing the magazine tube spring it's been functioning well. Earlier, in addition to the click, it kept jamming on the second or third round.

Anyhow, about the movement today. A friend and I hunted today. we shot seven on a rather quiet morning. Birds feeding around us didn't move much in wind. Very little apparent migration. I left in afternoon. He shot 18 more. He said their was a big migration movement about 3:00. He was just in the right place where they all wanted down. [/QUOTE]

I am sure he was happy he stayed around.. I know I would have been very happy with shooting 18 :)

Leave a comment:

• Geez n Quackers
    replied
    Sarge, I have had the Wolf spring for a couple years. It helped. I have an extension tube on the gun now. After changing the magazine tube spring it's been functioning well. Earlier, in addition to the click, it kept jamming on the second or third round.

Anyhow, about the movement today. A friend and I hunted today. we shot seven on a rather quiet morning. Birds feeding around us didn't move much in wind. Very little apparent migration. I left in afternoon. He shot 18 more. He said their was a big migration movement about 3:00. He was just in the right place where they all wanted down.

Leave a comment:

• Brobones
    replied
    I shoot a Benelli, and the click happens rarely for me. I check to make sure my bolt is in battery frequently. You are shooting out of blind that you are standing up in and there should be nothing to catch on the bolt to pull it out of battery like a layout blind does for lots of people. I would say your gun is dirty or you have used a lubricant that is not doing what it is supposed to be doing for you.

Could be a malfunction in a spring as mentioned also.
    Glad you have gotten some awesome action today... :)

Leave a comment:

• jolle
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like an awesome day, but some frustration there. I've never had a Benelli, so I have not had the joy of the click.

• Sarge
    commented on 's reply
    Been there before with my SBE 2. I replaced the factory spring with a Wolf Magnum spring and cleaned the recoil spring tube. No problems since that. Benellis seem to prefer a quick, hard bolt close.

• Decoyed
    replied
    The click can happen if the bolt gets pulled back slightly or doesn't slam shut between shots due to dirty oily bad spring in the butt stock. I've had it open a little and click because it got hooked in my blind. The bolt has to slam shut to work.

Leave a comment:

• Cornstalks
    commented on 's reply
    I've experienced the benellu click second hand when my partners gun does it. Provides an easy opportunity to rib him for not pulling his weigh with that flawless benelli t ha ha ha. As mentioned, the replacement spring did the trick for him and was a good bit longer than the one in it. Sounds like a fantastic day in the blind!

• MODAKR
    commented on 's reply
    Ouch! That would be frustrating!!! I have experienced the Benelli click before but not for awhile. I have a tube on my beretta so it’s my go to. Have you replaced the spring with the aftermarket that is supposed to fix that ?
    Sounds like a great day in the blind. Heading out tomorrow evening to scout and hope to have 2.5 or 3 days after them this weekend. Hoping timing is about right but a bit worried might be caught in a lull. Weather looks fantastic tho

• Geez n Quackers
    replied
    Let them all go north but Squaw is showing 1.3 milliion now. I hunted this morning. There were more birds feeding around my area than I have seen all spring. Similar latitudes in north central KS are also holding huge numbers. I saw a steady migration today. Not mile long trains, but 50 - 1,000 birds in a group. Probably every 20 minutes. Problem was most were in the ozone and never broke formation. Couple did though.

I was hunting alone for a change and did as much watching as shooting. I had multiple opportunities for shots inside 30 yards including a group of 2-3k at 20. I would never pass that if hunting with others, but these birds were coming off a feed that built up close enough to my spread that I didn't want to scare them off. It was enjoyable just watching. After they left I shot 9, and almost threw my gun in the lake. Have you ever experienced the Benelli click after pulling up on a flock of 20 migrators that circled down from the stratosphere to within 20 yards. Then jam two shells while pulling the bolt to extract the chambered round? Oh, but I must have imagined that. Benellis are flawless!

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    commented on 's reply
    I hunted yesterday in the area you are asking about. Shot one that was in the decoys when I got there, never saw another bird after that. Only hunted the afternoon though. I think the NW wind is keeping the non breeders from migrating in my opinion. Wind is supposed to switch to the south for the weekend, hopefully things will pick up. Earliest I’ve seen the migration end if in fact it’s over in this part of the world. Even the outfitters up by Squaw are panicking and moving north already.
Working...
X