Illinois 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois 2020

Anyone going to push the limits this weekend and try for some of these frontline adults? Looks like we could get some migration type weather Sunday and Monday but then the bottom drops back out. I hunted yesterday till dark right by Cilco and from what I could tell there are just a few snows left there. Heard they got up and went south Sunday? Got my drills charged up to set a 1000 socks and some floaters!

We set our spread this past weekend in west central Illinois. We missed some opportunities last year on killing some birds early. Won't happen this year though with all our decoys out. Plan on setting e-callers Saturday morning and hunting Sunday and Monday.

it's going to be pushing it since we have no open water that will hold birds within 40 miles, but still think we'll see some adults make an appearance. Have an inch or two of snow that should melt by Saturday afternoon based on projected temperatures.

Comment

• jolle
      jolle commented
      Editing a comment
      Best of luck to you both. Two pieces of gear I hope to use MUCH less this year are ..... drills, and waders!

• ah0359766
      ah0359766 commented
      Editing a comment
      We had to drill about 1,700 stakes last year. Avoided that this year and got our 6,300 stakes in back in December. Ground has hardly any frost right now but still happy to avoid drilling stakes.

Only planning on running a 1000 socks or so and some floaters. Cant through everything at them since snow is in the forecast. Wish we had full bodies!

Comment

Plan on wasting time Sunday and Monday. Gotta leave Sunday early though to watch the Chiefs game. Reports of a few million within a days flight to south so I suspect the adults will be here again over the weekend. Going to try to not get frustrated early but I say that every year. Ha!

Comment

• duknut1975
        duknut1975 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya we had a whole bunch around Havana till this last weekend. I assume they just hopped down 60 miles or so to the snow line. It will be tough, but got to try!

Sounds like they are all back and brought some buddies. Took them an hour to come back into Cilco at dark last night. Rumors of some moving up through southern Illinois as well. I am sure it will be on Sunday and Monday. Hope they can keep some water open after that. Or we will start the yo-yo back and forth stuff.

Comment

Hunted Sunday and today in Illinois.Sunday was the biggest flight I have ever seen. Most though, were flying north to south but it was virtually a wall of geese from daylight till around 10:30. Mostly bird watched but did have a few players. Today, saw fewer birds but still saw quite a few. It was dark and no wind most of the day but still was able to have a nice shoot.

Comment

Hunted all day on Sunday. Didn't lose the snow in our field until about noon. Ended up seeing 3 flocks with only 1 wanting to play. Ended up killing a pair. Yesterday (Monday) it was nonstop flights for the first few hours. Got greedy on the first bunch as we had 2 or 3 at 30 yards that we didn't shoot. Had a 1,000+ behind them and they ended up bouncing at about 80 yards and lit in the filed next to ours. We watched bunch after bunch pour into there. Ended up with 4 birds with a 10+ year old band. Lots of geese, just hard to tell where they ended up as they were coming from all directions most the day.

Comment

Sunday and Monday were huge migrations into the Canton area. I am right on the hot tub and the numbers were impressive. Sounds like Emiquon and Chataqua loaded up as well. It will be interesting to see what this snow does to them. Here is just one picture of a wad getting scared by an eagle. Would love to know the number of birds we saw Sunday, 500,000?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by duknut1975; 02-04-2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• jolle
              jolle commented
              Editing a comment
              Kinda crazy, this winter has been mild and I know there were birds around there that got bounced back two weeks ago. But every year people keep saying its getting earlier. Some believe AR pressure is part of it, but those birds booked on the first 3 days of that season mostly due to 65 degrees and south wind. Just seems they're ready to push at or before the CO every year now. Waiting for MO to open this weekend to get after them.

Not much to report from me in my area. Numbers have decreased with the snow we had (now gone). Talked to a friend of mine an hour south of me yesterday and said the bottoms were filling up. Stagnant weather followed by an arctic blast mid to late week has me thinking it may be next week before any geese start to move up again. Saw one bunch come over my work when I got here this morning. There may be a few moving around today.

Comment

Well, right on cue. Yesterday around noon the sun broke through the clouds and the migration was on. Wave after wave headed north. They are going to have a rude awakening tomorrow-Friday, however.

Comment

• jolle
                jolle commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like those leading edge adults who just love the exercise! Back and forth they go. I'm encouraged to hear there are good numbers in NE down through MO and IL and into AR still. Hoping it strings out, but last year they showed up about now in these locations and got held up until mid March, so we shall see what the weather cooks up.

I think what kills us on these resets are that the adults push up, then push back, grab the few juvies that pushed up a little bit and then head back north with the juvies. Happened like 3 or 4 times last year. By the March 10th break in weather I think 95 percent of all the snows went north in one day.

Comment

• timber hunter
                timber hunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Totally agree. I think we'll be ok this year. All the extended forecasts look very favorable with no big cold fronts after this week and no ridiculously warm days either. Looks about perfect actually if they are anywhere close to right.

Well they rolled again today. Any sunshine and they migrate. Managed to have a good hunt as the day went on.

Comment

Crazy birds and flying right into a winter storm, but ya your right it seems any sun and they will start rolling north.

Comment

well, anyone seeing a reverse today with this cold snap? below 0 temps in IA...

Comment

We got about 2 inches where the birds are, but it was wet snow and then dropping temps. I imagine its hard for a goose to get through it to get some grain. I am guessing they will be trucking out of here to the snow line. I bet Caryle loads up this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                    X