Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa

Saw some nice wads in s.e. Iowa this morning. Thankfully, they aren't feeding in my area yet. Have the spread about 2/3 deployed and the blind about 2/3 covered the way I want it.
    Last edited by timber hunter; 02-08-2020, 06:02 PM.

[QUOTE=timber hunter;n14839]Saw some nice wads in s,e, Iowa this morning.[/QUOTE]
    Nice! That means there should be a few moving through nw missouri. I would think they would that far north on this side too
    Last edited by Cornstalks; 02-07-2020, 02:40 PM.

Comment

I am gonna go out and knock some rust off with a little set this afternoon. Pretty cool at 17 degrees right now. Forecast is upper 20's to near 30 but teens at night for the next 10 days. I have a hard time thinking they push up here too far. Snow tomorrow north of Hwy 30, 3-6 plus inches as you go north. That should slow them a bit for sure.

Qac

Comment

Had a nice afternoon. Sunny and about 25 degrees, most of the snow disappeared with the sun out today where I was hunting. Ditches and edges still have some. Put out a huge spread of 29 fullbodies well spaced out. Two bald eagles loved it and a small hawk made a low pass. A couple of swans gave me a good look several times. I did see several thousand specks but no snow geese. The specks loafed on a little patch of open water till about 4:30 then went out to feed. All in all a nice day, I got a little nap in too. Still looks to be awhile before much starts showing up.

Qac

Comment

• Sarge
          Sarge commented
          Editing a comment
          Those kind of days are enjoyable. Thanks for sharing it

• jolle
          jolle commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a relaxing evening. Saw a small bunch here in central MO this morning. Sounds like they're bouncing back and forth a bit between AR and IA.

Worked on spread yesterday afternoon and this morning. No snows and few specks seen. Don't know if things left or are just feeding south.

Comment

Had a migration of robins into the neighborhood since yesterday.

Comment

Major push of specks and nice push of snows since yesterday. Will be interesting to see what they do next. Planning to hunt Sun. Will set up callers and maybe hunt a bit Sat. PM.

Comment

• whitey11
              whitey11 commented
              Editing a comment
              Getting any snow up your way th?

Started early afternoon. 1-3 predicted and about 5 below Thursday night. Big warm up starting Sat.

Comment

well, anyone seeing a reverse today with this cold snap?

Comment

[QUOTE=MODAKR;n14939]well, anyone seeing a reverse today with this cold snap? [/QUOTE]

ya,my butt back into the house where its warm.bad dog

Comment

i saw a couple small groups here west of STL over lunch going south...

Comment

I am gonna try again on Sunday. Looks to be a nice day in the mid 40's. I am kinda torn on where to set up. I have a nice easy grass field that is near water that I can get into fairly easy with my cart. Given the conditions and this being the leading edge I am leaning on setting in a corn field. If I do, I have a crazy idea on the location for my set up. I was thinking of setting basically just off the approach into the field. I would hide in the fence and place the decoys out 15-25 yards from the approach edge in a long line / exclamation point ish type of spread parallel to the fence, the wind will be right for this too.This field is just off the hwy but I have seen geese sit here like this many times and also had the farmer call me and tell me they are sitting there. I am not dragging out a huge amount of stuff either, 10 dozen decoys maximum, fullbodies and a few socks. Any thoughts on what I should do? Thanks

Qac

Comment

• Sarge
                      Sarge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Have fun! Sounds like a good game plan to me. Nice area, good place to hide, good weather. What’s not to like?

• Kansasgoose
                      Kansasgoose commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This early, I think hunting the field where they are (were) is the best option. I think your grass/water would be better in march.

Give em hell Quac.... Hope you get some decoying birds :)

Comment

Take a swing at em. Good luck. I had 30K in a field I hunt this am Farmer texted me a photo from the barn and I am down in TX working until Tuesday.

Comment

Give it a go! It'll be a nice day to be out. Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X