No announcement yet.

Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tornado rating of 6 was too high. Pulled everything but the blind today. Thought about rolling the dice and just quitting for good if everything got destroyed.

Comment

Got 95 percent of mine out. Had radar indicated rotation about 10 miles west of our spread. Weather guys are saying its just getting rampped up here in cent Illinois.

Comment

We pulled our spread yesterday morning. The possibilty of tornadoes made the decision easier. I do know that there is at least 1 group of 20 in the area because they sucked right in as we were pulling decoys. Every year I hate calling it quits but it is always a bit of relief knowing that the spread is safe and sound in the shed. Till next year!

Comment

• jolle
          jolle commented
          Editing a comment
          Well the feeling is bittersweet for sure. Amidst all this other stuff we can be thankful we got to enjoy another spring and hopefully will all be here to enjoy another one next year. And off now to turkeys, mushrooms, crappie, and whatever else we feel like chasing!

[QUOTE=Snowblower;n15831]We pulled our spread yesterday morning. The possibilty of tornadoes made the decision easier. I do know that there is at least 1 group of 20 in the area because they sucked right in as we were pulling decoys. Every year I hate calling it quits but it is always a bit of relief knowing that the spread is safe and sound in the shed. Till next year![/QUOTE]

I hate that feeling too.

Comment

I’m giving it another shot today. If I see a bird it will be great. If not oh well, beautiful sunrise starting to appear and I can’t think of any other place I would rather be self isolating right now anyway. I have 30 full bodies out and am tucked into a little grass point on a green grass field. I’m eating the nw wind but the sun will be at my back. If any show up they will be almighty close over my head going to the decoys.

Qac

Comment

• whitey11
            whitey11 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good luck!

• jolle
            jolle commented
            Editing a comment
            Great to see people still at it, good luck and hope you see some.

Well, I saw about 2 dozen birds in a couple small flocks mixed with specks. One bunch passed over low enough for the 28 but the snows were using there favorite repellent called speck shield.😡 Not a chance for a shot. They headed straight for some water and sat there till I left. A great day to be out but the weather looks to get messy the next couple of days. I am going to try again in the morning as long as the rain stays away for a bit. Last day is the 15th so tomorrow will most likely be my last day to hunt. 😭 people probably think I’m crazy to go with only a handful of birds but if I can get an opportunity to see them I feel I have a chance to get a shot. Either way I’m satisfied. I’m thankful I have the ability and means to enjoy it. It’s been another fun and challenging year.

Qac

Comment

When I saw your initial post that you were going out I thought... well, I thought your forum name fits. But in truth, I admire your desire to just get out and experience the outdoors with a gun in hand! Now if you do this in July, I'll go back to my original thought regarding your moniker. I must say I'm blown away that you saw some though. I haven't seen a bird in two weeks while out doing a little maintenance at our hunting spot.

Got to say, if tomorrow you get a snow in range and in a flock of specks, I think you should try to surgically remove it!

Comment

I gave it all I had. Never saw a snow, speck or Ross. Nice morning, I put out a big spread, 30 full bodies and 60 dive bomb socks. Blackbirds decoyed with reckless abandon. Several trophy bull blackbirds tempted me throughout the morning. Got out before the rainstorm hits. Prolly the smartest thing I’ve done all season.

my season recap - challenging for sure. The front line birds didn’t want to play as usual. The mid level did some but not like I had hoped. Tail enders did ok, just not very many.

Seems like there were less guys running decoys spreads around here this year. The ones that I saw were not very impressive. A few times I saw someone in them and a bird flew over it got shot at no matter how high. Decoys just seem to be out to draw a bird by so a sky buster can unload his gun. Which brings me to that topic. Definitely more people out just trying to jump or on the public/roost areas sky bust. I saw 2 geese get dropped and sail from this activity, plenty more then that were shot at... crazy how high they were shooting. Adopt the only thing that accomplishes is running the birds off. Makes it tough to hunt the fields around a roost when the birds are run out like that. I have no problem with responsible pass shooting at reasonable ranges and the recovery of the bird. What I saw plenty of was not that at all.

Overall I had a great time, despite my above complaints. I learned a few things, I think. Had some weather issues and some shooting woes but all in all I really enjoyed my time.

Got all summer now to clean up the trailer and think on what new items I might need. Need to have a sale and get rid of some stuff 1st. My wife says I too much stuff. I thinking she might be right or maybe I just need some different stuff😏.

Good luck up north, keep us posted

Qac

Comment

• Cornstalks
                Cornstalks commented
                Editing a comment
                Thumbs up to you Qac. Very commendable the way you just kept grinding away at them. Good to hear how you enjoyed it. Many ore to you!

Your the man Qac! Hunt with you anytime.

Comment

• Man, things were different in my area. Twelve spreads in the bottoms and the two closest had 2,000 and 4,000 decoys. This season made me have fond memories of last year!

Comment

Working...
                X