This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa 2015-2016

Post your migration and hunting reports for Iowa 2015-2016 here!

The ice fisherman are saying 8" of ice now and we have about 4" of snow on the ground...Mild here all fall, had open water the first of the year...As of now fields should be good to go when the geese get here...

Comment

River Ratt.... did you get much of a frost in the ground before the snow fell down there?

Comment

Was there a lot of rain in the south part of the state before freeze up I know we did up north here. Thinking it might be a sloppy spring

Comment

N.WMO was pretty wet at times in late fall so depending on snow fall it could be be pretty sloppy.

Comment

We got a bunch of rain in november and first of december, but it did not freeze until about three weeks ago...Last weekend of goose season I drilled holes for stakes and there was about 2-3'' inch of frost...Iam sure Its more then that now as cold as it got the last two weeks...Ill find out monday when I go digging up a water leak...What snow we had was light powder...we had 3-4" two days ago and now Id say it maybe 1" of snow...Not warm but its melting...Going to be 39 here sunday, it might be all gone...Until Tuesday,HA...A lot for creeks are still open and the nish is ice free the last few days...Im sure we will get more snow be for the birds get here...

Comment

Eastern side has some of the hardest snow/ice you have ever seen. Only an inch or two but it's rock hard. I can drive my ranger on it and not break through. Pretty tough on the wildlife. I am hopeful we get some sun and a few days of warmer weather to get rid of some of it soon. It was pretty wet over here all fall. It might be a muddy mess this spring. I am hoping not to bad cause I have a sweet field lined up if I can get my stuff into it with out sinking up to my neck.

I'm dreaming my plan will come together and flight after flight will ball up and drop on my head and my shooting will be straight and accurate. Each of my hunting partners will rain geese out those flocks as well and we will whoop it up, gleeful in our success. I can only dream for now and hope it comes true. Qac

Comment

West central Iowa here was wet this fall and into the winter. Couple late rains of 1-3" and overall, fairly mild but we have had some low's in below 0 and a few days of highs in the single digits.

My guess will be that the fields will be fairly muddy with the late rains depending on what the frost does. Christmas Eve day I hunted a chiseled field and just the top crust was frozen, just enough for the Ranger to stay on top because below that crust, was pure mud. Most of the goose season, I was still pushing in stakes just with my hands.

Hoping the ice on near by marshes isn't too thick so I can get out when the 1st adults show up with my layout boats and 90ish floaters.

Comment

CamoHunter870, I hope you do get that chance, I would like to see a couple pictures of that set-up. I know a lot of times when I see the early birds it seems they all head straight to the water first. I think they push pretty hard and just want to sit down and rest a bit before going to feed and move on again.

Comment

Well after three days of digging ther is about 5-6'' inch of frost in most spots with a few spots we hit 9-10'' inch range...the ground is moist not real dry even down 5 feet...So Id say at this point it is not bad...Iv seen a lot of years with 12-16" of frost, and with a warm up for the next three days it should help out...

Comment

Let's hope that the Tues/Wed snow storm shifts to the north and puts a nice snowline in South Dakota , northern Iowa and NE. That sure would be nice but sounds like its going to center punch the central part of the state.

But with it still being 5 days away, we all know the forecast can change.

Comment

canadas back on my pond after 18 day adsence over to Vikeing Lake SP.bad dog

Comment

I had three pepole text or call me late today, with siteings...Plus a flock went over the house...With the storm brewing over the west coast time will tell if its short lived or just the beginning...I leave for Arkansas in the morning so I should have a good idea whats going on in MO and north east Arky when I get back to Iowa...

Comment

Good luck in Arkansas!

Comment

large feed reported in mo river valley north of state line.bad dog

Comment

Working...
                              X