This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri 2015-2016

Post your migration and hunting reports for Missouri 2015-2016 here!

Headed to Missouri on the 4th for a 3 day prospecting trip. We'll see what the storm did

Comment

Pretty good numbers of Snows pushing north over the last few days. Not sure if they are birds from Iatan and Smithville or somewhere else.

Comment

I was outside prepping for spring snows in the Squaw Creek area much of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoon. Although I was seeing more snows flying around the area, I didn't see any high flyers going over headed north. Definitely some have moved up because three weeks ago there weren't anywhere to be seen.

Comment

BTW, things were thawing nicely over the past few days. Ponds are opening up. The ground is finely drying out some in our area. It was easy driving over cut corn. The only mud was in low areas that are prone to holding water.

Comment

Definitely saw more specks flying around on Sunday than I've seen all winter. They were flying over in the dark as we were setting up, so that is a definite sign of migration. I don't know whether to hunt MO this weekend and try for those leading edge adults or stay on the KS side and try to shoot some specks, honkers and snows out of a mixed spread. I guess it's good to have choices.

Comment

Yesterday Squaw is showing 200,000 there now and 99.9 percent adults....LOL there is a video on their facebook site.

Comment

Well I guess you could say there is a snow line now.

Comment

All water is open Swan Lake Area

Comment

I'm anticipating a good amount of movement throughout the state of MO after today. It looks like mild temperatures, sunny skies and southwest winds for the next four days. Has anyone been out since the season started on Monday? I will be trying my luck this weekend.

Comment

I agree, I would think Friday there will be a lot of birds around.

Comment

Drove from home in Alabama to the Bootheel Tuesday...specifically Ten Mile Pond. They reported 80,000 there just last weekend. Drove around 3 counties looking any concentrations. Didn't find anything promising - mostly specks.
                        Got up Wednesday a.m. to scout some more. Drove for hours with little success. Found about three hundred feeding on wheat at Ten Mile. Watched them bring in a of couple small flocks until about 5:20 p.m. Then some local kids pulled up and ditch-slipped them right off the WMA asphalt road...thus, my username "RUKid'nMe?"
                        Spent the night in East Prairie and drove back home. Not a great way to start...
                        I guess the 45 mph south winds and 70 degree weather blew them out of there?!?
                        Have had some great hunts there and nearby rice fields over the past 15 years but this was a first for the opening week.
                        Good luck to all and watch out for those knucklehead ditch slippers!!

Comment

I do wonder how the pressure has affected these birds? Ditch jumpers and decoy spreads everywhere. There is so much pressure now then there use to be. The birds catch a break from June till August maybe? Guys across the river are shooting steady numbers over IL is what I'm hearing. Southeast Missouri still has plenty of birds. Still a lot of adults!

Comment

Tough hunting is what I'm hearing with those leading edge birds. Guys in IL not doing so hot. Plenty of birds but smart old birds. Can't imagine north of interstate 70 in missouri doing any better. Cold air moving in should change things up.

Comment

Bluegoose61 do you know if there were any snows on swan lake? also i see the MDC reports now say that most of them (like Grand Pass) will be slowly drawing down pools starting Feb 1 with full draw down by March 15. is that any diff than other years? seems to me like GP has not held as many birds the past couple years by first week of march, and that could be due to other things. just wondering if they are doing anything different with water management than they have say 4 or 5 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X