X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5k on Squaw now. Fat lady has sung

Comment

It was a very disappointing year for me. It's starting to look like fishing is going to kick off a little earlier than normal this month. I wouldn't hesitate to say that I only saw about 1% of the migration I would see on a normal year. That is no exaggeration at all. I'm still scratching my head and trying to figure out what happened. I never saw much during that day and I wasn't hearing them at night.

Comment

I hear ya RossBoss! Sometime you just have to shake your head and say, I'll get them next year. Definitely not near the birds coming through our area this spring compared to any other year. I have some thoughts as to why, but it is just my speculating based on what I saw and a lot of online reporting.

Comment

I was outside my house last night around 10:00 and heard a flock go over. If a guy can wait them out all day, might get a crack at a flock or two migrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Geez n Quackers View Post
            I have some thoughts as to why, but it is just my speculating based on what I saw and a lot of online reporting.
            I'd like to hear your thoughts? I talked to some people and heard second hand info from others who hunt north central MO and they made it sound like it never turned on. Pretty much got their butts kicked for 3 weeks...

Comment

Just left southeast missouri. 41 on saturday, 3 on sunday, 7 on monday, 0 yesterday. Seen 9 birds sunday, seen 16 birds Monday and 0 yesterday. Ended early this year. Goodluck to everyone north of us.

Comment

The birds pushed hard for 2 weeks. No snow, hunting pressure and jump shooters seem to have them moving fast this year. We had close to 100k in our area at one point. Someone Jump shot them on a Saturday. By Sunday afternoon there was 4k left. My fear is it will only be worse in the coming years.

Comment

goosecrew Iv said for years when they decide to go there gone..Only weather slows them down, these are diffrent birds now then when the CO started...All the season has done is create a diffrent bird...I cant rember when the last time the birds hung around longer then a couple weeks in numbers, maybe 5 years ago ? It seems as if our season gets shorter and shorter...This week should be primtime for NW mo SW IA, but the mild weather is to blame this year...Your right it wont get any better then it is now...This will be the normal from now on...

Comment

I agree that this is a different bird than when the C.O. started, but this year was a different animal altogether. The past two seasons, significant numbers of snows lingered at Squaw Creek until the first of April. Long after weather conditions to the north were holding them back. Two years ago there were nearly a quarter million still there. I remember it well as I had a good hunt the last day of March and wanted to hunt there for the first time ever in April. But the Squaw Creek birds quit flying south to feed so it didn't transpire.

Comment

Working...
                    X