Looking to book a guided hunt...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to book a guided hunt...

I'm looking to book a guided hunt for next year. Anyone have any suggestions on who to hunt with? I've heard the horror stories about some guide services. I'm leaning twords either Neu outdoors or Banded Gander guide service. But if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to throw them out there. I'd like to hunt in sd twords the end of march. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Although I would prefer you didn't feed the beast if you really want to do a guided hunt go with Nue.

Comment

I think when you really start looking into guide services, you will never find one with all positive reviews. Too many people have unrealistic expectations going into it. Im not saying that I also haven't had a few bad experiences, but overall, have had good experience with a few guide services. If south dakota,look at Northern Skies Outfitters, hunted with them in MO a few times and always showed they cared and gave 100%. Have hunted with Tracy at UpNorth Outdoors in MO, don't know if he does SoDak though, but hes a straight shooter, look at his post from this year, told it like it was including all their "bad days", which I respect, rather than the outfitter that only post their "good Days". I have hunted over the years with some smaller operations and friends that had their own spread and we always did just as good. Currently buying decoys and getting ready for 2017,as buddies and I are gonna no longer give $$ to guides and do it ourselves.

Do your research, listen to peoples opinions, but also take those with a grain of salt and remember its still hunting. Ask the question of how many spreads you running a day? a week? How many hunters in a spread? Have seen some put up to 12 in a spread, YIKES. Do they hunt running traffic or do they have spreads that they are moving trying to stay on the "X". Some of these questions may give you the insight of how they run their operations. I think there are outfitters just out there to take our $$, never move their spreads, hunt them week after week, no matter if killing birds or not. When I hunted with Northern Skies, Mat told me that if they go 3 consecutive days without a 20bird day, they pull the spread. Obviously that can change depnding on weather and other circumstances, but I thought that was respectable. Good luck on your search

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with Neu Outdoors. Good guy and has been doing it for a long time. In fact I talked to him today, trying to put together a hunt for my newly recruited Marine and I.

Comment

Originally posted by Wapiti View Post
          I don't think you can go wrong with Neu Outdoors. Good guy and has been doing it for a long time. In fact I talked to him today, trying to put together a hunt for my newly recruited Marine and I.
          He has been around since the beginning, and I can't say that I have ever heard anything bad about his operation.

Comment

I also hunt with Tracy at Up North Outdoors, who is great, but he generally hasn't been hunting SD. On his recommendation a buddy has been hunting with Neu outdoors in SD for 2 or 3 years and is very happy!

Comment

Been with Tony Toye several years and will be back next year.

Comment

Neu outdoors, been to Missouri with them last two years and plan to do Missouri and South Dakota next year. Great bunch of guys

Comment

Working...
                X