No announcement yet.

Harvest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just ended 2019 shotgun deer season here at home in Iowa. Had a fun time as always. the weather was pretty nice and somewhat warm for the most part. A couple of days we had very light snow but not enough to really matter and a couple of days in the 50's. We stand hunt only(on my property), no deer drives for me thank you very much. I do not like getting shot at. Deer did not move much in the mornings and only moved late in the afternoons maybe an hour before dark and as it got warmer that time moved back to 20 minutes. I did not see any late rut or secondary rut activity this year which is a little strange. I saw plenty of nice sized Doe and decent sized fawns and as evidenced by my food plots, the deer have been eating well. I saw a few "nice" bucks but no giants. I had pictures of 3 big boys that would have made my wall of fame had they made an appearance. I have not talked with all the neighbors but I know one to the south of me shot 12 total (8 doe and 4 small bucks) and the one to the north did not take anything. Not sure if anyone got any of the 3 from the trail cams. I will be checking the cameras at the end of the week to see what we see.

As far as how we did, it was a successful and satisfying hunt. My oldest daughter shot a big doe at 7:30 am opening morning, she made a great heart shot at 45 yards and that made an easy recovery. I was able to get that on video too. I took a doe at 4:30 pm of the same day at less than 20 yards. She didn't go very far and was within 5 lbs of my oldest's doe. Both of them had almost 2 inches of fat across the back, crazy fat they were. The youngest daughter got out second season and hunted a few days for some horns but did not see the one she wanted so she too a doe as well with a well placed heart shot at 40 yards and easy recovery. Her doe weighed in between the other 2 that we took. I am amazed at how many nice bigger doe's we saw and harvested. I am sure with the amount of shooting I heard from my other neighbors that they also took some doe's which should help get our overall herd ratio back in check. Hope everyone else had a safe and successful year again.

Qac

Comment

Comment

Looks like you had a great season Qac!

I finished off my season in northern MN a couple weeks ago. I was fortunate to take a personal best buck on the final morning. He came out from behind some thick brush and I think was getting nervous. He started turning away as he stepped into one of the few openings I have at about 40 yards. He went about 60 yards. I had no idea how big he was until I walked up to him. Kind of stopped me in my tracks when I saw him!

Comment

Comment

• Qac
            Qac commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice mature buck Bassinmeyer. Congrats to you. Now that you have set a personal best it will be more challenging for you each year to try and beat that. At least that's how it is for me. I know what I have on the wall and always look for something bigger or unique. I would like to take a nice drop tine buck someday, that would be pretty cool. My nephew captured a photo of one on a trail camera out at my place this early fall. He was a younger buck maybe a 2 1/2 so I am hoping he makes it a couple of years to really fill out. He has potential. Anyway you have a nice buck and hopefully your putting him on the wall of fame to admire in the future. Thanks for sharing,

Qac

• Sarge
            Sarge commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, nice deer! Congrats!!

• Cornstalks
            Cornstalks commented
            Editing a comment
            That's certainly wall worthy! Nice job!

I don't hunt deer, but my brother does. He spent quite few days this year hunting near Crosby, MN. Same spot where he has hunting successfully the last 30-years. All total, he saw only 2-deer this year; shot one. He was hunting mostly from a tent blind, mounted on a platform, 15-ft off the ground. On his way home the last day, he killed a buck with his pick-up about 2-miles from his house.

Comment

2019 deer season for me was all about running into people. I don't believe I have ever shared the woods with more hunters than I did this year. Most all of them during the bow season were great guys, and we all gave each other some room too hunt, even if it was in the same patch of timber at the same time. I must say I saw my share of bucks, but never had everything come together just like it should. This year therefore saw me extend my deer hunting into rifle season, during which I put down a nice tasty little buck(pic). I made a perfect quartering towards me shot and dropped him where he stood at about 70 yards. No tracking and I was even able to drive to it, which rarely happens to me. I paired this with one of the smallest does I have ever taken. I hunt deer for the meat, so its all good in my book. Smaller deer are much easier to load and handle anyway. Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 buck.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	14291

Comment

• Kansasgoose
              Kansasgoose commented
              Editing a comment
              Cornstalks: Yes, I process my own deer. I have a hook in a hedge tree that butts up too the driveway, so I can back right up too it, and then pull the deer out of the truck and hang it in one step. I have a rope block and tackle that I can raise and lower the deer by myself. When she is home on the right day, which she was this year, my wife comes out too help, having two buckets of water to rinse meat in, and then a third too fill with meat too carry inside. I skin and bone the animal, she washes. This allows most of the mess too be outside, and the raccoons normally clean up any large bites we drop. Inside we trim and final rinse, then wrap and freeze. I take some in too be ground for I find it more of a hassle to grind my own once you include cleanup time.

I keep the backstraps and the muscle that come out nice for roast and stew meat. Anything that is small, or not "pretty" I grind up. We like a lot of burger, so sometimes I take the whole thing in too be ground.

I don't waste a lot of time chasing big deer, I normally kill the first deer that I see that gives me a clean shot, and yes, younger ones eat better.

• Qac
              Qac commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats Kansasgoose, I like your attitude. I think some people get too caught up in a word I can't spell (menusha?) or social media biggest, bestest, mostest craze. If you like it and it's within the law, why not. The only one that has to be satisfied is you.

I tell my nephew, cousins, hunting partners and girls this all the time. We try and farm for wildlife on my property and like to see big deer. We only have a small farm of 130 acres. The only rule of the farm is you can shoot any buck you like but it has to go on the wall if you do. I try and encourage the taking of doe's for the table to keep our ratio/ populations in check. Now it does not have to go to the taxidermist for a full head mount, it could be a European or something of the like. It just has to go on your wall of fame. It promotes some friendly competition but also some excitement because we know through camera's we have some big boys out there.

Your little guy would make a great Jakalope mount for sure. Now, that one you took a couple of years ago off of public ground was a real bruiser and I'm betting not as easy to load out. Congrats again on another great hunt and trophy.

Qac

• Cornstalks
              Cornstalks commented
              Editing a comment
              I took my first deer in to be processed and that was the last. I know those guys have a schedule and a backlog to keep up with but I wasn't impressed with the cut or the amount of meat I got back. I'm a bit picky I guess and after figuring it out on my own I just like the extra time I take with it to get it how I want it. Even my burger is pretty lean. I grind it myself and when I was younger used an old hand grinder mounted on a 4ft 2x6 that I'd float on top of 2 5 gallon buckets with a knee on it and a death grip on the board. I decided to run some duck through it one day and ended up destroying the grind plate with some shot. A few years later I needed it again and I was faced with either buying new plates or going electric. Being older and not relishing that kind of work out anymore and not paticularly excited about one arm dragging in the dust for days afterwards, I bought a $100 jobber at Cabelas. Wondered why I hadn't did it sooner when I found out how much easier and faster it was.
              I've never really been an antler hunter but I wouldn't pass one up if I had room for the meat (which is pretty well always). Don't matter to me if they are spike or larger, I dry them out and mount them up high in my barn. I like the same cuts as you do except those 3 main muscles on the rear quarter get sliced up for jerky

Qac

Thanks for the kind words. I do wish more people would stop trying too just impress other people, and just hunt for the enjoyment of it. Social media is killing water fowling IMO.

I also like your rule for killing a buck on your farm. This is a low cost way too mount, and one of my favorites (pic). I really like symmetry in antlers, and this buck was almost perfect.

My 2015 deer was a bruiser, I was a good mile into public land that day, and it took 2 trips too pack it out, after I butchered it on the spot.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4176.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	856.7 KB
ID:	14309

Comment

• Qac
              Qac commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, a mile is a hike without having to pack anything out other then a gun. That might make me think twice about hunting a spot. I know elk and big game guys do it but I think it’s mire fun then I can stand. I will go in that far for a snow goose with my cart but hey who wouldn’t for a crack at the toughest bird to hunt on the planet. I’m soft when it comes to deer hunting. Since we hunt our own land I can pretty much just drive the polaris right up and flip them in a sled. If I really need to I can take the tractor back.

I do like that mount, it’s not obnoxious like some skull mounts I’ve seen. Thanks for sharing.

Qac

• Cornstalks
              Cornstalks commented
              Editing a comment
              That mount really blends in well with the décor. Well done!

Thanks for all the kind words on my buck. I feel really lucky to take this fine animal. We are not trophy hunters in our group. In my 25 years deer hunting this is probably second in ranking in our group and yes it is currently at a taxidermist for a shoulder mount.

Kansasgoose congrats on successful hunt. Nothing wrong with any adult deer for the freezer.

Comment

I was lucky enough to shoot this buck with my bow in November. First buck I’ve shot in seven years with my bow. Congrats on everybody’s success this year. It’s all about being out there enjoying our selfs.

Comment

• Cornstalks
                Cornstalks commented
                Editing a comment
                Holy crap! That's a beast! All the much nicer as a bow kill. Well done!

Originally posted by Muzyhntr View Post
              I was lucky enough to shoot this buck with my bow in November. First buck I’ve shot in seven years with my bow. Congrats on everybody’s success this year. It’s all about being out there enjoying our selfs.
              Great deer! Right on about getting out and enjoying life.

Qac

Comment

I don't deer hunt any more since my son moved to montana.the young men who help around the ranch make sure we have plenty of venision in the freezer.we have had a desease hit our side of the state and we only have 1/3 the herd we had 5 years ago.bad dog

Comment

Since getting back from North Dakota my focus has been on deer hunting this last week. My oldest got her doe which is what she wanted. Made a great shot and short recovery. Got that on film too. I was able to fill my doe tag with the one that was with my daughters. 2 deer two minutes apart in the same spot same gun, worked out. My cousin who comes from Wisconsin and gets raped paying the Iowa out of state license also got a nice doe. I horn hunted the rest of 1st season and took a good buck Tuesday.
                  Now is 2nd season so I am filming my buddy that I goose hunt with. He is horn hunting too. Have not seen a big one yet but I do know there are a couple out here. My youngest will be out Tuesday so I will switch partners and try to film her . Mornings have been pretty slow due to pretty nice weather. We now have some snow and cooler temps so maybe things pick up a bit.

Qac

Comment

• Kansasgoose
                    Kansasgoose commented
                    Editing a comment
                    that's a nice haul. This should help fill the freezer since the goose hunting as been a little slow this year. Thanks for sharing!

The deer woods.

Comment

Working...
                  X